Saturday 19 October 2019

What Inspires Me| CarenzaOnBooks

As I've been writing lots of posts about motivation and staying inspired, I thought I would share with you guys what inspires me to keep on working, especially when I'm having a bad day. Most of these are bookish/nerd related things, but as I study Creative Writing, I figured that made sense. 

Angels in America by Tony Kushner

I've got to start with the thing that sent me on this crazy journey- Angels in America. Will I ever shut up about how much I love this play? No. Will I bore everyone around me to death by talking about this all the time? Yes. I cannot put into words how much this play means to me. I'm currently listening to the audiobook adaptation of it and am having the best time. It's been two years since I first saw it and I cannot stop thinking about it. I am even debating getting a tattoo inspired by it. I have a framed print of the poster on my desk, so that whenever I am running low on morale, I can look at it and feel inspired to do what I love. 

Phoebe Waller-Bridge  

Another writer that inspires me is Phoebe Waller-Bridge. I adore Fleabag and Killing Eve. I am ashamed to admit that I still haven't read the script for Fleabag, even though I've owned it for almost two months. She's one of the few female writers that I have seen reach the level of achievement she has and she writes the most outrageous characters. I can't wait to see what she does next. It's another one where it's hard to put into words how much I admire her. I wrote about her for one of my university submissions last year. I hope when I am grown up, I can be a bit like her.

My Family

This is a bit cheesy, but my family genuinely inspires me to work hard. They have always supported me, no matter what and one day I hope to make them proud. I know that I have been a bit of a pain, always changing my interests, but they have put up with me no matter what. Without them, I wouldn't have done any of the amazing things I've done. I wouldn't have seen any of the things that inspire me to work as hard as I do. I'm grateful to know that they will always be there to support me and one day I hope I can make them very proud.

Greta Gerwig and Lady Bird

I know, another thing that I just won't shut up about. This film, and the creative genius behind it, mean so much to me. It was the first time I feel that I have seen myself fully represented in a film and I saw it at such an important point in my life. Maybe if I had seen it at a different point in my life, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. I've only watched it once since I saw it in the cinema and am due for a rewatch soon. The story is incredible. The acting is phenomenal (it has two of my favourite actors in it, Saoirse Ronan and Timothee Chalamet). The soundtrack is something I never get bored of listening to. I am very excited for Greta's next film.

Books 

This is also a bit of a fairly obvious one, but without my love for books, I would not be writing this. I wouldn't have started a blog (that's technically not true, but I'm glad I've focused on books). Books have always been there for me, a constant source of inspiration. I have more books than I could count. I have so many books I want to read and so many that have changed me for the better. I cannot imagine a life without books in it. They're my rock, always there for me. I read every single day and if I didn't I think I'd go mad. I hope that I'm a book lover until the day I die.

So that's a short list of things that inspire me to keep going even when giving up feels like the best option. There are obviously other things that inspire me, but I want to keep it short and maybe in the future, I'll do a part two to this.
Carenza :) x