Monday 7 October 2019

The Joys of Audiobooks| CarenzaOnBooks

Recently, I have discovered the joys of audiobooks. I've taken out a subscription to audible. I'm listening to audiobooks whenever I can. With my recent discovery of audiobooks, I thought I would share some of my thoughts on audiobooks. 

You Don't Have to Carry a Book with You Everywhere

I really like how light it is to take audiobooks with you. It's just carrying my phone and I take that with me everywhere. As much as I love physical books, they are so heavy to lug around with you. Especially as I do a subject which means I have to have a lot of books with me anyway, adding one for my personal reading just makes my bag super heavy. Phones aren't that heavy which means it's really light to have my audiobooks with me. Gone are the days of heavy physical tomes, bring forth the days of light reading (pun intended). 
   

Multi-Tasking Is Possible

I am a big fan of multi-tasking. Listening to an audiobook means I can use my time productively and read my books. I've started listening to audiobooks on the way to and from uni. It's only a 10-15 minute walk, but that's half an hour I'm listening to. I also like listening to my audiobook as I do my food shopping. As the local supermarket is half an hour walk away, with the whole 2 hours (roughly) it takes for me to do my shopping, I can listen to a lot of my audiobook while doing something boring but useful. I've also started listening while I'm at the gym. I've got to walk to the gym and then there's the time I spend at the gym, which means I can listen to even more of my audiobook. I just love how versatile they are. 
 

They're Very Relaxing

It might just be me, but I find the idea of someone reading to me relaxing. If I am having a very stressed day, sometimes reading physical books actually makes it worse as I can't concentrate on them. But with an audiobook, I give it my full attention and it relaxes me. Something I've been doing since the summer is trying to read every day and because of audiobooks, I know I've read something without having to pick up a physical book. It means I have another way to relax after a bad. 

I'm annoyed that I didn't start listening to audiobooks sooner as they're a really good way of getting reading done. They're also very accessible to people who can't read physical books, which means even more people can read. I've fallen in love with audiobooks and am going to try and read more of them from now on.