Thursday 17 October 2019

Harry Potter Spells Book Tag| CarenzaOnBooks

Who doesn't love a good book tag? It's been a very long time since I did one and I was just in the mood to do one, so I thought why not? I saw this one on Beth's (BooksNest) blog and I knew I had to do it. I've tagged her original post so you guys can check it out. 

Taken from Google Images


Expecto Patronum

A childhood book connected to good memories?

I couldn't not choose Harry Potter. It's obviously a childhood favourite and has lots of good memories attached to it. I still adore this series to this day. Somehow I feel that choosing Harry Potter for a Harry Potter based challenge is cheating, so I'm also going to mention that I adored a lot of Jacqueline Wilson books as a child. I've kept some of my favourites as I couldn't ever get rid of them.  

Expelliarmus

A book that took you by surprise?

Sadie by Courtney Summers. I recently listened to this on audiobook and it was phenomenal. It took me 4 days to listen to the whole 8-hour audiobook and I was swept away by how good it was. I had heard lots of good things about the audiobook and it did not disappoint. I loved it so much I now want to get my hands on a physical copy and tell everyone I know and love to read it. 

Prior Incantato

The last book you read?

At the time of reading this, the last book I read was Let's Call It A Doomsday by Katie Henry. I had really enjoyed Heretics Anonymus by her so I thought I'd enjoy this as well. I ended up giving LCIAD 3/5 stars as it didn't quite hit me the same way HA did. I thought it had a really good premise but just didn't quite live up to its predecessor sadly.

Alohamora

A book that introduced you to a genre you'd never considered before?

This is a bit of an unusual book, but Columbine by Dave Cullen really opened my eyes to how non-fiction books can be engaging and not just drowning in facts. I read it for a school research project and was blown away by how the writing was almost story-like. Obviously, this book does document the harrowing events of the Columbine school shooting and was a difficult read, but it didn't feel like a non-fiction book and I would read more books like it at some point in the future.  

Riddikulus

A funny book you've read?

I might be cheating but no book has actually made me laugh out loud, but there are moments in books that make me chuckle. There's obviously some funny moments in Harry Potter, TMI, TID and many more popular books, but no book has captured my attention for being exceptionally funny. 

Sonorus

A book you think everyone should know about?

Technically this isn't a book, but the script for Angels in America is something everyone should read. I know that I keep on banging on about how much I love this play but it is phenomenal and it changed my life for the better. I will forever be in debt to how much I love this play.

Obliviate

A book or spoiler you would like to forget you ever read?

I had someone spoil what happened in the last book of the Divergent series for me while I was reading the second book. I was minding my own business, reading in the school canteen, when this girl I didn't even know came up to me and told me what happened at the end of the last book. It goes without saying, I was very angry when this happened. 

Imperio

A book you had to read for school?

I was that sad little nerd who actually enjoyed reading books for school. The one I enjoyed the most was The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald. I do actually want to read some of his other work and I have a book all about his wife. I have two copies of The Great Gatsby. One is my battered, annotated school edition and one is a fancy (I believe Penguin) edition. It's a beautiful story and has some great film adaptations as well. 

Crucio

A book that was painful to read?

I'm going to go for a classic and say that the first time I read The Fault in Our Stars, I wept. My friend told me that I would and I was like "no I won't". I cried. A lot. I know that every time I've read it since, even though I know the ending, I still cry like a big baby. I think I'd like to read it as an adult and see if I cry.  

Avada Kedavra

A book that could kill (interpret as you will)?

Going by sheer size alone, the biggest book I brought with me to uni was Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark. It is a very big book and very dense. I've watched the TV adaptation, many years ago, but I would like to read it. But the size is slightly intimidating.