Monday 21 November 2016

Book Review Monday- Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs| It'sCarenzaB

Hey Guys!
How are you?
For this Book Review Monday, I am going to be reviewing Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs. This is a companion novel to the Miss Peregrines universe which came out in September. It is a collection of ten short stories. This book is mentioned in the Miss Peregrines series as a book full of Peculiar stories for Peculiar children. Like all my other reviews, it will follow the set layout, except there will be no character chat.

Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs- Contains Spoilers

Non-Spoiler Thoughts

I really enjoyed this book. I gave it 5/5 stars and read it in a couple of days. I read it straight after finishing Library of Souls (the final book in the series). I don't think I've said on here that I wasn't the hugest fan of Library of Souls, but this book restored my faith in the Miss Peregrines universe. You can read this book even if you haven't read the Miss Peregrines series, but I highly recommend you read the Miss Peregrines series.

Cover Design 

Firstly, ignore the Zazu Tsum Tsum. This photo is taken for my Instagram. Secondly, how beautiful is this cover? When I first saw the cover, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. But once I saw it in person, I fell in love. The tree (if it can be called a tree) has pictures from each story weaved in. I really like how detailed and intricate it is. 







Plot

Before Miss Peregrine gave them a home, the story of peculiars was written in the Tales. 
Wealthy cannibals who dine on the discarded limbs of peculiars. A fork-tongued princess. The origins of the first ymbryne. These are but a few of the truly brilliant stories in Tales of the Peculiar—known to hide information about the peculiar world—first introduced by Ransom Riggs in his Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children series. Riggs now invites you to share his secrets of peculiar history, with a collection of original stories, as collected and annotated by Millard Nullings, ward of Miss Peregrine and scholar of all things peculiar.
This plot overview is taken from Goodreads. The average rating on Goodreads is 4.21/5 and is taken 3629 ratings.

Opinion

I've already said that I loved this book and that it restored my faith in the series. I hope we get more books like this from the Miss Peregrines world. I love how it doesn't spoil the series and that it immerses you in the series.

The book is told through different voices, but the writing style is still very similar. It is told as though Millard is writing footnotes in the book. I really liked the footnotes that Millard's character added.

My favourite stories from the book were:

  • The fork tongued princess
  • The woman who befriended ghost
  • The pigeons of Saint Paul
  • The girl who could tame nightmares
I really liked the illustrations in this book. Before each story, there was a picture of something to do with the story. They were made from wood carvings that were printed and then put in the books.

So that was my review of Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs. Leave a comment saying what your favourite story in the book was.
Love,
Carenza x