Friday 17 February 2017

UK vs US- Book Covers and Exclusive Content| It'sCarenzaB

Hey Guys!
How are you?

Recently I have been thinking about the book community and how it is very different in the US compared to the UK. It's on a much larger scale and they have so much more events to attend. But I've been thinking about how covers vary between the UK and the US and I am going to be discussing my opinions on it.

Personally, I feel that the US gets the better cover. While I will often get the UK edition, I will prefer the US edition. For example, the US covers for a Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab are gorgeous! The UK ones are still pretty good, but I would love to get my hands on those versions. More often than not, trying to get a hold of a US edition can be quite expensive as they tend not to sell them in most UK book retailers. However, a series where I think the UK has better covers is the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. We have these amazing white editions with the main character on the cover which I love.

Another thing that I find annoying about the difference between the UK and the US is most of the pre-order competitions are for the US only. These pre-order competitions should be open to everyone, not just one country. It feels as though you are losing out as a reader on something really cool to do with one of your favourite authors.

My main pet peeve in this discussion is exclusive content. I am really against exclusive content as most exclusive content is only available in certain countries. For example, when Empire of Storms came out, there was so many different versions of the exclusive content and you could only get that version in that specific shop. Like with the pre-order competitions, it feels as though your reading experience will be less than someone who has the exclusive content because they can get to that shop.

My main point with this argument is that there shouldn't be such a big divide between the countries. Everyone's reading experience should be the same and shouldn't have to be different because they don't live in a certain country. Like in everyday life, reading should have equal opportunities for everyone and no group of people should feel excluded.

So that concludes my discussion on the difference between the UK and the US book community, let me know what you think about the various issues I have discussed in this post.
Love,
Carenza x