Monday 20 February 2017

Book Review Monday- Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken| It'sCarenzaB

Hey Guys!
How are you?

Today I am going to be reviewing Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken, the final book in the Passenger Duology. To read my review of Passenger, click here. Like all my other reviews, it will follow my usual structure which I'm sure you guys are tired of reading at the start of my reviews. This review will contain spoilers for Passenger and Wayfarer, so if you haven't read this series, you won't be able to read this review.

Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken- Contains Spoilers

Non-Spoiler Thoughts

I definitely preferred Wayfarer to Passenger. I gave Passenger a 3.5-4/5 stars and I gave Wayfarer 4.5/5 stars. I found the story more engaging from the beginning, which was something that I hadn't in Passenger. I am sad that this is a duology as I would have liked more from this world. I will be checking Alexandra's other series, The Darkest Minds.

Cover Chat

I really love the covers for the Passenger series. They are really striking. If I hadn't seen so many people talking about the duology, I would have still picked them up because the covers are amazing.









Plot

All Etta Spencer wanted was to make her violin debut when she was thrust into a treacherous world where the struggle for power could alter history. After losing the one thing that would have allowed her to protect the Timeline, and the one person worth fighting for, Etta awakens alone in an unknown place and time, exposed to the threat of the two groups who would rather see her dead than succeed. When help arrives, it comes from the last person Etta ever expected—Julian Ironwood, the Grand Master’s heir who has long been presumed dead, and whose dangerous alliance with a man from Etta’s past could put them both at risk.
Meanwhile, Nicholas and Sophia are racing through time in order to locate Etta and the missing astrolabe with Ironwood travellers hot on their trail. They cross paths with a mercenary-for-hire, a cheeky girl named Li Min who quickly develops a flirtation with Sophia. But as the three of them attempt to evade their pursuers, Nicholas soon realizes that one of his companions may have ulterior motives.  
As Etta and Nicholas fight to make their way back to one another, from Imperial Russia to the Vatican catacombs, time is rapidly shifting and changing into something unrecognizable… and might just run out on both of them.

As always, this plot is taken from Goodreads. The average rating is 4.09/5 stars and that is from 2211 ratings.

Opinions

Like I said at the beginning, I preferred this to Passenger. My attention was grabbed straight away from the first page. As Passenger left on such a great cliff hanger, it was vital that Wayfarer had a strong start. It's very rare that I'm hooked to a book from page one.

Again, like Passenger, the pacing in this book wasn't brilliant. There were times were my interest lapsed. I understand that authors can't just have action scenes, but there has to be a balance between action and development scenes.

While I really enjoyed it, there were times were I found the plot a bit confusing. Maybe it was because I was trying to finish it really quickly, but I struggled with the plot. It was a lot harder to keep up with the plot with Nicholas and Etta being separated.

Whilst reading Wayfarer, I was thinking the rating was going to be the same as Passenger, but the ending saved it. It was the ending I needed and made me so happy. It didn't leave any questions and I felt satisfied with it.

So that concludes my review of Wayfarer, let me know what you thought of Wayfarer and the Passenger duology.
Love,
Carenza x