Wednesday 22 February 2017

Random Recommendations- Contemporary Books| It'sCarenzaB

Hey Guys!
How are you?

So recently I've been thinking about books I don't talk enough about and genres I don't read enough of. I am a die-hard Fantasy fan and will read mostly fantasy all year round, but recently I have fallen out of love with fantasy and have been picking up contemporaries. So I thought I would recommend 4 of my favourite contemporaries, but these are books that I consider to be underrated and deserve more love from the book community. This post will be completely spoiler free.

My first two recommendations have been turned into movies, hence the movie tie-in editions I have. The first is Love Rosie by Cecelia Ahern. Originally published as Where the Rainbow Ends, it follows Rosie and Alex as they struggle through life. Starting as 5 year olds and ending as 50 year olds, this book covers a very large time frame. Told through letters, emails and DMs, at times it can be hard to follow the plot. If you are looking for a cute contemporary which focuses on love, this is the book for you. The movie is also excellent.


My other recommendation is Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I read this pretty recently and it was one of the most heart breaking books I have ever read. Had I not been on public transport, I would have cried my eyes out. Me Before You follows the story of Louisa Clark (Lou for short) who suddenly loses her job and still lives with her parents aged 26. She tries various jobs, but ends up becoming a career for Will Traynor, a quadriplegic man. I will be reviewing this book in a couple of weeks. This is definitely not your classic love story and does deal with issues around being disabled. I will be going into detail about this in my review. But if you are looking for a slightly more serious contemporary, then this might be for you. I can't wait to watch the movie as I have heard nothing but great things about it.
 
My other two recommendations are seriously underrated, in my opinion. My first recommendation is the Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman. I read this book almost 6 years ago and I loved it. It deals with racial issues in an unusual way. In books that usually deal with racism, black people are seen as inferior to white people. However in this book, white people are seen as lower than black people. As Malorie Blackman is a author of colour, this book is really accurate to her own experiences with racism. I would say that this book is for more mature readers due to the subject matter, but don't let that hold you back. I read this book when I was 11 years old. It is part of a 4 book series, with a World Book Day book released back in 2003 you can get cheap on Amazon.

My other recommendation is The Truth About Alice by Jenifer Mathieu. I picked this book on a whim and have read a few times since. The Truth About Alice is a story about a girl called Alice, who everyone believes caused the deaths of a high school hero while texting while he was driving. The story is told from 4 different perspectives, all of whom have a reason to twist the truth and only in the final chapter do you hear Alice's perspective on the story. It's a very short and quick read. This book deserves so much more hype than it has.

So that concludes it for my random recommendations, let me know if you want more recommendation posts like this. I also want to say that this is my 100th post! I can't believe I have written 100 posts on this blog, I never thought I'd write that many.
Love,
Carenza x