Monday 15 February 2016

Book Review Monday- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard| It's Carenza B

Hello!
Today I am sharing with you guys my second Book Review Monday, this time I'm talking about Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. As the second book in this series has just come, I think it's only fitting to talk about the first book. If you have any requests for books for me to review, please let me know as I don't have a book to review for the next Book Review Monday, which will be going up on the 29/02/2016. Anyway, here is my review of Red Queen!
Enjoy!

Cover


Like the last two Book Reviews I have posted, I love the cover! If you didn't know, I'm a sucker for a beautiful cover and white covers are my favourite. I love the bold red writing, and the blood dripping down from the upside crown. I think the covers for this series are amazing and love seeing them lined up on my bookshelves.

Plot

I will  try and make this as spoil free as I can but I would advise reading the book first before you read these posts. The story is set in a world were common Reds like Mare Barrow are undermined and ruled by superpower possessing Silvers. When Mare is cornered by Silvers and threatened, it is revealed that she has powers. The Silvers panic and to cover her up, announce she is a long lost heiress and she is entered into a competition to win one of the hands of the Royal Princes,  heir to the throne of Norta Prince Tiberias (known as Cal) and his younger brother Prince Maven. While settling in to life in the castle, Mare is approached by her old friend Kilorn Warren, he has been called up to fight but he thinks he has found a way out by joining a rebel group led by a women called Farley. The story follows Mare as she learns to control her powers and sees her grow close to both of the Princes.

Characters

The first character I am going to talk about is Mare Barrow. Mare is a 17 year old Red, the second youngest in her family, she struggles to support her family. All of her older brothers have been sent to the war and her sister works in a sewing factory. Mare is protecting her sisters when her powers are revealed and because of this her sisters arm is broken. Mare is strong, fierce and independent. She is use to looking out for herself and hates living in the palace. She finds life very different and difficult from what she is use to, but she finds a friend in Cal.

The next character I am going to talk about is Cal, Cal is slightly older than Mare. Unlike the rest of his family, Cal enjoys walking around the Red part of town, and isn't as formal as the rest of his family. The first time he meets Mare is before she has discovered her powers, he was nice to her and seemed to see something in her.

The final character I am going to talk about is Maven. Cal's younger brother and Mare's fiancee, he is young and hotheaded. He is kind to Mare like his brother, but is very rash and turns out he's not as nice as he looks.

Opinions

I love this book and can't wait to get my hands on the second book, Glass Sword. I love the way it's been written and her characters are brilliant. Mare is such a feisty and independent person, it's hard not to love her. You also get to know how hard it is to survive in that world and I hope the next book finishes a lot of unanswered questions.

So that concludes my book review for Red Queen, I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know what you think of Red Queen and if you have read Glass Sword, please no spoilers! I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback. Don't forget to follow my blog, and my Instagram and Twitter, my username for both is @itscarenzab. If you have any business inquires, please email me at itscarenzab@gmail.com.
Carenza x