Monday 29 February 2016

Book Review Monday- Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs| Its's Carenza B

Hello!
So today I have another Book Review Monday and today's post is all about Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I read this over two days and I honestly can't wait to get my hands on the other books in this series. I read this over half-term, while staying in London and I have to say it has been my favourite read of 2016 so far. So without further a do, here is my thoughts, feels and opinions!
Warning:
This review contains spoilers, if you have not read this book I would advise you to read it and then read my review as I don't want to spoil it for you.

Cover


Can we just take a minute to appreciate this cover? Although my use of flash makes it brighter and probably wasn't the best idea, is this not a thing of beauty? It's a photo that is featured in the book and I love how the title is in several different fonts, which makes it seem even older and more rustic looking. Also the spine looks like it should be from some old fashioned book and I can't wait to put these beauties on my shelves! 

Plot

Miss Peregrine's follows a young boy called Jacob Portman living in Florida. Jacob grew up on his grandfather Abe's crazy stories about monster and were he lived during the war (World War Two). At first Jacob believes the stories but as he grows up he realizes they are just a figment of his grandfathers imagination. The story then jumps to a now teenage Jacob, who is unhappily working in his families chain store. He suddenly receives a phone call from his panicked granddad, who now suffers from a dementia like illness, demanding where the key is. Jacob tries to reason with him, but he hangs up. Upon arriving at his grandfathers house it is clear something is wrong, and he finds a trail leading into the woods. After a short distance he finds his grandfathers mutilated corpse and he sees some monster, like the ones his grandfather use to tell him about. His grandfather begs him to go and tell "the bird" that "they found him" and he dies. After these traumatic events, Jacob is sent to a psychiatrist and has regular appointments. While clearing his grandfathers house out, he finds a box of old photos and a letter from a mysterious women called Miss Peregrine's. He then decides to head out to the island his grandfather used to tell him about, after he has persuaded his parents and psychiatrists. The island is a small one of the coast of Wales and doesn't have much to do. After making his way up through the woodland, Jacob notices someone following him and he runs after them, going through this old cave. He is then jumped by the people he chased and they take him hostage, revealing he has time traveled to 1940. He notices that they have very peculiar talents and it is revealed that these are the children his grandfather told him about. He is then taken to to the house were his grandfather lived and introduced to everyone, including Emma Bloom (who took him hostage) and Miss Peregrine. He then spends the next few days travelling between the present and 1940. When weird things begin happening in the present, it is revealed that wights (a failed peculiar experiment) are trying to kill the protectors of the peculiar's. Jacob, Emma and the other peculiar's must fight off these threats and Jacob must also make his own decision about whether he will stay with the Peculiar's or will he stay with his parents.

Characters

The first character I am going to talk about is Jacob Portman. I really like Jacob, he is a slightly cheeky teenager who will do anything to infuriate his parents. He seems to despise his parents wealth and goes out of his way to hang around with people who annoy his parents. I could tell that there was a really close bond between Jacob and his grandfather, a possibly closer bond than Jacob has with his own father and that his father had with his grandfather. I got the feeling that Jacob wasn't close to his parents and that his parents didn't really care about him. I felt really sorry for him, and could see the change him in after he became obsessed with finding the island his grandfather had told him about. I was really surprised by his decision to stay with the peculiar's but at the same time thought it was for the best.

The next character I am going to talk about is Emma Bloom. Again, I really liked Emma but it did take me a while for me to like her. At first I thought she was a bit hot-headed and arrogant, but you learn that she doesn't want to see Jacob because he looks like Abe and she and Abe were lovers. You get this immediate  sense of some kind of relationship building between her and Jacob, but you are unsure as to whether it is romantic or not. I felt that Emma was the rebellious one of the Peculiar's and that she would do anything to save them. I was surprised by how old she was, I thought she was a teenager but when you see a picture of her she must be in her twenties at least.

The final character I am going to talk about is Miss Peregrine. I have a on-off relationship with her character as at first she was really nice and she let Jacob come and go, but then she becomes more cruel and either insists he stays or leaves. You learn that this decision is because she wants to protect the peculiar's, but still it's a bit harsh seeing as Jacob has only just discovered this world and he needs to get use to it. I am intrigued to see where her character goes as at the end of the book, she is stuck  as a bird.

Opinion

I am going to be 100% honest, I didn't want to read this book when my mum bought it in August. I thought it would be creepy and horrid and give me nightmares, but I was just judging it by its cover. It wasn't until I saw Jessethereader (Jesse) rave about it on his channel that I decided to pick it up. I really enjoyed it and found that I couldn't  put it down, and this is very rare that I will find a book like this. I really liked his writing style and found it so interesting that he came up with lots of the ideas from old photos. I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy and I hope he brings out more books, Ransom I need more books! I also believe that it's being made it to a movie but I'm not 100% sure.

So those were my thoughts, feels and opinions on Miss Peregrine's. If you have read this book, please leave a comment down below telling me what you thought. Don't forget you can follow my blog by clicking the follow button. Also don't forget to follow my Instagram and Twitter (@itscarenzab), and if you have any business inquires please email me at itscarenzab@gmail.com
Carenza x