Monday 1 February 2016

Book Review Monday- The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen| It's Carenza B

Hello!
So today I have another book review, but unlike my Throne of Glass review this review is part of my Book Review Monday series. As you can probably tell, I am really into books at the moment and want to share some of the amazing books I have read. I hope you guys like this review and I would love it if you left some constructive feedback, don't forget to follow my blog and my twitter and Instagram (@itscarenzab). Enjoy!

Cover

I really like the cover for this book, I think it makes you think what the book is about without giving it away. I love the use of red on the cover as it can symbolise danger but it might just be a pop closer, I really like that the metal object (I can't remember what it's called!) looks like a crown.  

Plot

Again I am going to try and make this as spoil free as I can but if you want to read this/are reading this, I would advise you to read the book first. The plot follows the life of Kelsea Raeleigh Glynn, who just turned 19 and the royal guards have turned up at her door. Turns out she's the Queen of a land called the Tearling, who have suffered greatly while she has been in hiding under her mothers orders. She has to travel very far to get to her kingdom and the journey proves to be treacherous. Upon her arrival to the kingdom, she makes some rash decisions and angers the enemy of the Tearling. The rest of the book follows her decisions and how they affect everyone else in the kingdom. 

Characters

The first character I am going to talk about is Kelsea Raeleigh Glynn, the Queen of the Tearling. I have to say that I have a love- hate relationship with Kelsea. There are parts of her that I like, for example that she stands up for what she believes in and is able to defend herself, but some of her actions are very rash and in my opinion very stupid. Some of the things she does affect lots of people and in my opinion causes more problems than before. At the start I found her very whinny and stuck up, but she has grown on me.

The next character I am going to talk about is Lazarus (The Mace). One of the members of the Royal Guard under Kelsea's mother, he is wise and has a reputation. Again he makes very rash decisions and often goes against Kelsea, but he means her well at heart. I have to say I like Lazarus as he becomes a father figure to Kelsea and he seems to be able to calm Kelsea down.

Finally I am going to talk about one of the "baddies" in this book, The Regent- Thomas who is her uncle. While Kelsea has been in hiding, Thomas has been ruling but has been a debauched puppet of the elusive Red Queen. He is a really nasty person and means to hurt Kelsea, he wants the power for himself and his puppeteer.  

Opinions

I have to say that this book was a disappointment, the beginning was really sluggish and the end just seemed really weak. I haven't got the sequel, but am looking forward to reading it to see if it picks up. I just couldn't get into this book and felt it was boring. I have to say my favourite bit was when they were in the library and mentioned current existing books as being classics, that scene touched me. Apart from that scene, I wasn't too impressed by the world it was set in.

So that concludes my review of The Queen of the Tearling, I hoped you liked it and remember all the opinions stated are my own. Let me know if there are any books you want me to review for the next Book Review Monday, which takes place every other week. If you have any business related questions, please feel free to email me on my business email- itscarenzab@gmail.com Let me know what your opinions are of this book and we can chat in the comments.
Carenza x