Friday 26 February 2016

Bookstagram Tips| It's Carenza B

Hello!
So today I have something a bit different, as you may know I have changed my blog and other social medias to be focused on books. I am really glad I have done this and I have been getting some great feedback on my Twitter and Instagram, and because of this I thought I'd share with you some of my personal tips on how to start/ improve your bookstagram account, enjoy!

Tip 1) Post photos of books you love/ have read

This is probably one of the most important tips I can give you as if you don't like what you are posting, there is absolutely no point posting it. Take photos of the books you love and have read so you can discuss with people why you love them. The bookstagram community is so lovely and everyone is there because they love books, so you will most likely meet someone who is passionate about that book and will want to discuss with you. So if you haven't read the book, then you are going to look like a bit of an idiot when you have no clue what you are talking about.

Tip 2) Use props- these can be anything  

Most bookstagrammers use props to enhance there photos and this is rightly so because of a picture of a book by itself can be quite boring and if everyone did this, it wouldn't be as interesting. So use props and don't worry, you don't have to spend anything. These can be household objects like candles, mantelpiece ornaments, fairy lights, soft toys etc! You do not have to spend lots of money on fancy props, but if you want to you can. I use fairy lights in my photos and in my Harry Potter posts, I use my Pop Funkos, which I collect anyway. I also use my Tsum Tsums as they just add a little something to a photo. But before you leap into the world of props, do a bit of research as to what everyone else is using to see if you can make your unique.

Tip 3) Join in with other bookstagrammers

If you want to take part in something make sure that other people know you. Follow lots of different bookstagrammers to see what's hot and what's not. Like and comment regularly on people's posts, this shows that you are interested and that you want to be a part of the community, also you never know when they might spot you.

Tip 4) Use appropriate hashtags

This is crucial if you want to get your photos noticed, every time you post use a certain amount of hashtags in a separate comment. By posting them in a separate comment, you aren't adding to what they have to read. I usually post two comments with hashtags, one specific to the photo the other, using generic bookstagram hashtags. Now you may be wondering in this works and I can confirm it does, I have received a lot more likes since I started using hashtags.

Tip 5) A little bit of editing can go a long way

Editing can do a photo a whole lot a good, it can enhance it to make it look super good. I use my iPad to take all my instagram photos and I then edit it to make it look more like it was taken with a camera. I just bump up the highlights and shadows, make it a bit warmer and bobs your uncle, you have a good looking photo.

Tip 6) Interact with followers

By interacting with the people who follow you, it makes you seem more approachable. I follow every single person who follows me as a little thank you for following me. If they comment on your posts, reply and tell them how much it means to you. But on the negative side, keep an eye out for inactive followers or people who are following you just so they can gain followers.

Tip 7) Do appreciation posts

By appreciating fellow bookstagrammers, it shows how much you love the community but it also helps you get noticed. I posted an appreciation post recently and it is my most liked photo, with 4 of the 9 people I tagged in it liking it.  Appreciation posts also make those who you are tagging know that you enjoy there posts and it can make peoples days.

Tip 8) The basics- name, bio and schedule

Name- when it comes to choosing a name, keep it simple. I had already chosen my name before I started bookstagramming so my name doesn't really relate to my account but then several bookstagrammers have done that also. Don't stress over the name, pick something that you like and shows that you have an interest in books.
Bio- again, keep it simple. Mine at the moment isn't simple as my instagram is playing up, but an ideal bio is something like: Small statement about yourself (around 4 words), other social media handles, currently reading and business email. That is all you need.
Schedule- when it comes to posting, stick to a schedule. I post 1-3 times a day, usually in the evenings after school. Once you have found a schedule you like and works for you, stick to it. This means your followers will be anticipating your next post.

So that's everything so far that I have to say on bookstagram, I hoped you like this post and let me know if you want more. Don't forget to follow me on instagram and twitter (@itscarenzab) and if you have any questions please feel free to email me on my business email itscarenzab@gmail.com
Carenza x