Sunday 30 April 2017

Are Bookish Subscription Boxes Worth the Money?| It'sCarenzaB

When I joined the book community back in January 2016, I didn't know that bookish subscription boxes were a thing. Since then I have tried two different companies (both based in the UK as shipping from anywhere else is way too expensive). A while ago, I was talking with a friend and she asked me if they are worth the money and since then I have been thinking about if they are. I am going to be using Fairyloot for all my examples as I have been subscribed to it since September.

So typically, a bookish subscription box will have a new YA hardcover and 5-7 items. The average cost can be anywhere between £20-£35 and these costs don't include postage. I can see why people question whether they are worth it as this is a lot of money to put into a subscription service every month. I personally think Fairyloot is worth it as every box is packed with so many items plus a great book.

If you look at a box and each item, the overall value is generally over the price you are paying. A new hardcover can be anywhere between £16-£20, which is already more than half of the box. Items can vary from candles (£6-10), tote bags (£10-£12), mugs (over £15), notebooks (£7) and Pop Funkos (£5-£10). If you were to get a candle, a mug, a notebook and a tote plus badges and prints, you are already looking at around £60 value.

The items and books included in the boxes are often quite expensive on their own, so when you get them in a box, you are saving money (which is always great). However, it is always going to be incredibly hard to find items that everyone loves, so there will be people who hate some of the items. To them, the boxes aren't worth the money. But they can't deny, you don't get a lot of items in the boxes.
Love,
Carenza x