Saturday 21 September 2019

Making Student Accommodation Feel Like A Home| CarenzaOnBooks

One of the most valuable tips I can give someone starting university is to make your room feel like home. Before I started university, a lot of posts I read mentioned that you were more likely to drop out of university if you didn't feel at home. In this post, I will be giving you advice on how to make your university room feel like a home.

 Pictures

You can see both my picture wall and my art wall and how they've added some colour to the room

Pictures are one of the easiest ways to make a room feel homely. I already had some in frames that I took with me and then using an app called FreePrints, I printed a bunch more to stick to my pinboard. I'm actually planning on getting a few more photos printed for things that have happened in the past year. I found that having photos of people I cared about and things that had happened to me made me feel as though I was at home. It was good to have memories scattered around my room as when I was having a bad day, I could look around and be reminded of good memories. Most people I know had photos stuck to their walls as it added a nice detail.

Bring Stuff From Home

My little bookshelf is filled with books and trinkets, it makes the room feel like mine

Another really valuable tip is to bring trinkets from home. I brought some Pop Funkos with me as they made my room feel a bit more like it was mine. I also brought an art print with me to motivate me. Bringing trinkets from home not only saves you money on buying new trinkets it marks the space as yours. Everyone has unique trinkets and they can sometimes start conversations. Obviously, don't bring every single trinket you own, choose some of your favourites and remember you can always swap things around when you go home. I know for a fact that I am going to be bringing some different trinkets from last year as I don't have the same space and I want to bring some of the things I got this summer. 

Make Your Bed Cosy


For me this really brings a room alive. You can either buy new bedding or bring bedding from home. I had to buy bedding this year as I didn't have any double bedding. You can go ham on it and have lots of cushions and blankets. I am a sucker for cushions and blankets. I'm bringing the same ones as last year, plus one I bought on holiday. If your bed is cosy and inviting then you are more likely to feel at home in your room, plus let's be real, we all spend way to much time in bed anyway. 

Make The Most Of What You've Got

The desk was looking a bit plain so I added lots of colour to it

At the end of the day, university accommodation is designed to be cute. It's designed to be practical, so we have to work with what we've got. If your room feels really dark, add light coloured objects. I bought two sets of light coloured bedding and I noticed that my room feels way bigger than it actually is. Also, natural lighting can do wonders so keep your curtains open as much as you can. 

The longer you live in your accommodation, the more it comes to feel like home. You just have to add a couple of touches to make it feel like home at first. A big tip would be to add plants. Plants always make a room feel great. If you take anything from this blog post it's that plants and pictures are going to be your best friends when trying to get your room to feel like a home.