Monday 24 April 2017

Book Review Monday- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas| It'sCarenzaB

Last week I finished The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and I knew that I was going to write a blog post about it. I have heard nothing but good things about this book and usually, books that are hyped aren't my thing. But, this book was amazing. Books that are being hyped are generally being hyped for two reasons; they're problematic or they're amazing. This book falls into the later category. So prepare yourself for a gushy, fangirl-esque review on one of the most important YA books I have read.

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas- Contains Spoilers

Non-Spoiler Thoughts

I do believe that the hype surrounding this book is rightly deserved as THUG discusses a really important and relevant issues; the way police/ law officers treat black people, especially in the US. The past two years have been littered with police attacks on innocent black people and this book shows the wider world what it's like to be on the end of one of those attacks. I was lucky enough to meet Angie on one of her UK events and get to listen to her discuss why this book is so relevant. Despite the fact that it's only been out two months, it already has a film deal with Fox (I believe). If that doesn't show you how relevant it is, I don't know what will.

Cover Chat


I will say that I prefer the hardcover cover. I do like the paperback cover, but I feel as though the hardcover is way more powerful.












Plot

Sixteen-year-old Starr lives in two worlds: the poor neighbourhood where she was born and raised and her posh high school in the suburbs. The uneasy balance between them is shattered when Starr is the only witness to the fatal shooting of her unarmed best friend, Khalil, by a police officer. Now what Starr says could destroy her community. It could also get her killed.
Inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, this is a powerful and gripping YA novel about one girl's struggle for justice.

Opinions

I absolutely loved this book. I know I keep on mentioning how relevant it is, but it genuinely is really relevant. We live in a world where someone like Donald Trump can become president. This book isn't just about a police officer shooting someone, it's about how a community comes together to get justice for one of their own.

In an interview with BBC news, Angie Thomas said that "empathy is greater than sympathy" and if I was forced to try a summarize the message of this book, I would say that this comes very close. It shows that you can say you sympathize with someone and not mean it.

Something I loved about this book was how I could see links between the character of Starr and Angie. When I met her, she said that some of the things that happened to Starr happened to her and it was really interesting seeing how events in her life became part of her best selling novel. This book is the first book I've read since Noughts&Crosses by Malorie Blackman that is by a black author about what it's like to be black in a world where, unfortunately, racism still exists.

As someone who is not part of the black community, it was interesting reading about the black community and learning things about it. I really enjoy it when books teach me things as well as being a good read. Most of what I learnt was things I had never heard about and found fascinating.      

Starr is an amazing character. She goes through so much character development. From being timid to being part of a protest, she changes a lot. What I admire about Starr is that she isn't afraid to stand up and challenge people who are racist towards her and those around her. I found reading the scene with Hailey really moving as she came right out with it and wouldn't back down, not matter what. There need to be more Starr Carter's in the world than Katiniss Everdeen's.

Something I've already touched on is the sense of community, but not how this book revolves around a family. I loved the family dynamics in this book. Some of the scenes made me envious of Starr and her brothers as I am an only child. My family and I are very close and I loved reading about another close-knit family like my own.

I've seen some reviews attacking the book and saying it abuses the police force. It doesn't do this. The majority of those in the police are lovely, unbiased people. But there are a few that are not, and more often that not these people are a bit trigger happy. Within the book, we see Starr's uncle Carlos show what it's like to be a good cop and then we have the cop who shot Khalil.

I'll finish my rambly review on a positive. I loved this book. If you are going to read any book that I have reviewed, read this one.
Love,
Carenza x