Wednesday 26 April 2017

How Many Editions Is Too Many? It'sCarenzaB

As someone who has been a part of the book community for almost year and a half, a common theme I have spotted that bookworms like owning multiple editions of the same books/series. This is something I myself am guilty of and it got me thinking, is it possible to own too many editions of the same book? 

When I joined to book community, this was something I was not planning on doing as I felt it was stupid to own multiple editions. All the books have the same text in, so why buy more than one version? But, last year I bought the new paperback editions of both of Cassandra Clare's series because I liked the covers and some had new content in. I may own 5 editions of City of Bones, but I have only physically read one of them.

I think the reason I like the idea of owning multiple of the same book as it shows I support that author and shows how much I like them. With my Cassandra Clare collection, I own two complete sets of both series (that are currently complete) as well as two editions of Lady Midnight. I have the standard paperback as at that point I didn't know that collectors editions were a thing.

With the imminent release of two of my most anticipated releases (A Court of Wings and Ruin and Lord of Shadows), I discovered that there are about 5 editions of both books you can get. For A Court of Wings and Ruin, I have opted for the standard hardback as shipping from America to the UK is hella expensive. But for Lord of Shadows, I have pre-ordered one edition, but I'm planning on getting another 3 or 4 because I know I'm going to love it and also there are about 12 (I'm being dramatic) exclusive contents you can get. I don't know why one book needs so many different exclusive content bits, but this is a thing that keeps on happening.

I feel as though fans, like myself, feel they need all the exclusive content they can get their hands on and this is something I have spoken about before on here. I haven't made it a secret that I am not usually a fan of exclusive content as not everyone can get their hands on it and it pressures fans to buy multiple editions. 

I have decided that if I am going to collect multiple editions, it is only going to be for authors or series I love. So far I only plan on collecting books from authors such as JK Rowling and Cassandra Clare as they are my absolute favourite authors.

It would be interesting to see what other bookworms think about owning multiple editions and I will state that I am not trying to attack anyone, this is just my opinion.
Love,
Carenza x