Monday 3 August 2020

What I've Been Watching Recently- Spring Edition| Carenza Bramwell

It's that time again to share with you the insane amount of TV and films I have watched recently. I've mentioned before that I've really gotten into watching stuff recently as it's what I want to go into once I've finished my degree. Without any further delay, here is a list of all the things I've been watching lately.

Taken from Google Images


TV

Torchwood
My family and I are huge fans of Doctor Who, so I watched the "adult" spin off series Torchwood. It follows the adventures of Captain Jack and his crew. Ianto was my favourite character. It was a bit cheesy in places, but a good laugh. 

Primeval
Primeval was a favourite show of mine as a child and I hadn't watched it since it finished in 2011, so we rewatched it. If you've never seen it, I would recommend it. It's about a group of people investigating why dinosaurs have appeared in the modern day. Again, it's a bit cheesy and very early noughties, but I still really enjoyed it. 

The Salisbury Poisonings 
We binged the latest mini series from the BBC in a day. It's subject matter, which is a real event, is very heavy hitting and even though you know the outcome, it was one you had to keep watching. It only has three episodes and is very well written. 

The Politician
I discovered the Politician at the end of last year and really enjoyed the first series. I rewatched the first series in preparation for the second one that came out in June. I have to say that the first series was a lot better. I was a bit disappointed in this new series. I'm unsure how I feel about a third one.
Final Space
My friends had been nagging me to watch this for a while and I had gotten through the first series twice without finishing it, so I finally bit the bullet and committed to watching it. I liked the first series a lot more than the second one. I think if there was a third series I would watch it as they are funny the plot lines. 

Hollywood
Hollywood was a mini series by the same creator of the Politician. The trailer looked really good, but it just didn't quite work. It was supposed to be a diverse retelling of Hollywood in the 1930/40s. The cast was really strong but the story just didn't work for me. 

Criminal UK
I had wanted to watch this for a while and finally had an excuse as I needed to watch it for uni. Even though it had three episodes, each was very strong. It had good writing and a good cast. I know it's part of a series of shows based in different countries, so I might also have to watch those as well. 

The Good Place
I had been meaning to watch The Good Place for a while after seeing stuff about it online. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I think my favourite series were the first and the final one. It had one of the best, most solid endings to a show. Even though it is sad when a show decides to end, it is best when it goes out with a great ending rather than dragging it out forever. 

Fresh Meat
This was on my lockdown watch list. Again, it was another show that pleasantly took me by surprise. I could relate to it a lot as I'm going into my final year of university. It was also another show that had a great ending. 

The Mandalorian
My family have taken out a months subscription to Disney+ to watch various things. The Mandalorian was one of them. I had seen "baby yoda" everywhere and I wanted to watch it. It was really good and I also liked the character of the Mandalorian. I think it has a second series coming out some point later this year, so we'll have to take out another months subscription to watch it. And yes, baby yoda is as cute as everyone says.

Jack Whitehall: Travels with My Father
Jack Whitehall stared in Fresh Meat and is a comedian I really like. This show was a solid reality show. I think Jack and his father have a great dynamic. It was nice at the end of each season seeing them sitting down and talking about their relationship with each other. It made me desperate to travel.

I May Destroy You
Another show I had seen everyone raving about was I May Destroy You. Michalea Coel took something that happened to her and turned it into an incredible TV show. My only critique is that I wasn't the biggest fan of the last episode. I now really want to watch her other show, Chewing Gum. 
What We Do In The Shadows (Season Two)
I hadn't realised there was a second series of What We Do In The Shadows until a friend told me. I really enjoyed the first season and the second was just as good. The film is also a great bit of comedy. I really hope for a third series.

Films

Pitch Perfect
After watching A Simple Favour, which Anna Kendrick stared in, I was in the mood for some more Anna Kendrick film. I have a bit of a soft spot for the first Pitch Perfect film. I still think this is the best one out of the two I've seen, I still haven't seen the third one. It's just got girl power and good music, what's not to love?

Love Wedding Repeat
This was one I had stumbled across a trailer for and thought it looked good. It was a solid rom-com. Parts of it were a bit odd, but it had a solid cast. I'd probably watch it again at some point in the future. 

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
I watched this with my mum one day when it was like 30 degrees in the UK because it was two hot but to do anything other than watch a movie. I know a lot of people don't like the Hobbit films, but I enjoy them. 

The Personal History of David Copperfield
I had wanted to see this but I just missed seeing this in the cinema. It had a great cast and a great retelling of a classic story. It was very funny and I am glad I watched it. It's by the same guy who wrote The Death of Stalin, a film I really enjoyed, and The Thick Of It.

Fight Club
Another film I watched for uni was Fight Club. I've been watching this for a while but I finally had an excuse to watch it. I did like it, especially with the twist at the end. 

Melancholia 
As I've mentioned before, my family has a subscription to Curzon Home Cinema, which has a lot of unusual films. This was a very unusual film about the end of the world. It was a very miserable film. I probably won't ever watch it again. 

Birdman
Another film I've been meaning to watch is Birdman. I ended up really enjoying it. I wasn't sure of the direction it was going in at first, but it ended up being a solid film. It's hard to put into words how I feel about it. I would recommend it. 

Life of Crime
Yet another Curzon film, was Life of Crime. The trailer ended up being a lot better than the actual film. It just flopped for me. 

Eurovision: The Story of Fire Saga
Critics don't like it, but audiences do. It is a very cheesy film with some Eurovision worthy songs. Rachel McAdams and Dan Stevens stole this film. Ja Ja Ding Dong has been played non-stop in my house. I'd watch it again. 

Finding Dory
I loved Finding Nemo so much as a child that I was banned from watching it. I watched it on repeat and drove my family crazy. I was never that bothered about watching Finding Dory, but I'm glad I did. It was a really good film. I loved the sea otters!

Coco
Another Disney-Pixar film I had really wanted to see but had never. A good friend of mine spoiled this film for me (I've just about forgiven her for it), but I still enjoyed it even though I knew the big twist. The animation was beautiful and the story was great. The songs were also solid. Very glad I finally watched it.

Inside Out
The same goes for Inside Out except I wasn't spoiled for this one. I think out of the two I preferred Coco as Inside Out was quite deep and dark for a Disney film.
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
I've grown up watching Wallace and Gromit films. I just fancied rewatching it when I couldn't decide what to watch one night before bed. There are some jokes that are a lot funnier now that I'm an adult. They'll always be great films.

Pitch Perfect 2
Since I watched Pitch Perfect, I randomly decided to watch Pitch Perfect 2. I still think the first one is the best one and I didn't enjoy this one as much. At some point I will watch the third one, but I'm not sure why the decided to make this into a trilogy. 

Mamma Mia
In March, I watched Mamma Mia Here We Go Again! I then realised I couldn't remember much of what happened in the first film and as I had just watched Pitch Perfect 2, I was in the mood for another musical. It is a solid film, even with the questionable singing from some of the actors. I do think I prefer this one to the second film.

Into the Woods
I have one reason for watching Into the Woods- the "Agony" scene. The two princes being overly dramatic. It is the best scene in the film. 

Frozen
While we have Disney+, I really wanted to watch Frozen 2. It had been many years since I saw the first film, so my mum and I rewatched it. There were jokes that I understood a bit better now that I am an adult. 

Booksmart
I had wanted to watch this for a while as coming age comedies are some of my favourites. I did end up really enjoying this, but it could have been a bit shorter. The two main actresses were amazing in their roles. 

Brooklyn
Saoirse Ronan is my favourite actress so I've been watching as many of her performances as I can. Brooklyn was a really good film. I was a bit confused when it was set, so I had to Google it. It was nice to see Saoirse use her Irish accent.

Star Trek
When I say Star Trek, I mean that I have actually watched four Star Trek films. I watched the most recent trilogy- Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness and Star Trek Beyond. I also watched a 1980s one, Star Trek The Wrath of Kahn. These are fun and easy moments. It also has a great cast. I hope there is a fourth film, but at this point I don't think there will be.

12 Years A Slave
I decided to watch this for university. It was an incredibly difficult watch, but a great film. I'm glad that I've finally watched it. It was another film that benefited from an amazing cast. It's so sad that this was based on a true story. 

This Beautiful Fantastic
I stumbled across this on Amazon Prime and originally I thought it was a French film. It's been called the British "Amelie". I did enjoy it, but I had a few issues with it. The plot was a bit flimsy. The other thing was that the main character's mental illness was shown to be more of a quirk than an actual illness. That just didn't sit well with me. 

Frozen 2
Lastly, I watched Frozen 2. In all truthfulness, this was a good film, but I prefer the first one. The animation on this one was incredible, you can see just how much they've improved in the past few years. My favourite moment was Kristoff's overly dramatic song.

So that concludes my list of things I've watched over the past couple of months.
Carenza :) x