Thursday 12 August 2021

Loki TV Show Review (Contains Spoilers)| Carenza Bramwell

Taken from Google Images

Title- Loki
Creators- Michael Waldron, Kate Herron
Cast- Tom Hiddleston, Sophia Di Martino, Owen Wilson, Gugu Mbatha-Raw 
Genre- Marvel, superhero, sci-fi, drama
Length- 6 episodes
Platform- Disney+
Rating- 4/5 stars





Plot

The mercurial villain Loki resumes his role as the God of Mischief in a new series that takes place after the events of “Avengers: Endgame.”

Taken from IMDb

Opinions

I would consider myself to be a big Marvel fan. Since March of this year, my family and I have been watching all the Marvel films in release order every Monday. We decided to do this after watching WandaVision and being a bit confused because it had been so long since we had watched the films. We've had to take a few breaks for when I've been away, but as of this going live we have two films left (that are currently out on DVD). We enjoyed WandaVision, have only watched two episodes of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but were very excited for Loki.

Taken from Google Images
I am very happy that I managed to avoid too many major spoilers for the show as Twitter was filled with them. Loki has been a favourite character of mine since Thor came out. I even have a little Lego Loki keyring on my keys. Before watching the show, I saw that Loki had been confirmed to be gender fluid and bisexual. It's hard to believe that we're only just getting our first openly LGBT+ Marvel character (main character) in 2021. But, a very short summary is that I think Loki is a great character, which made me very excited for this show. 

Taken from Google Images
As this show is all about Loki variants, of course I add Sylvie to my favourite MCU characters list. While it was clear that she was a Loki, she was her own character. She had sass and was a badass. We deserve and need more Sylvie content. I felt that she and Loki had great chemistry, that felt very real. The banter between them in episode three was top quality. I'm trying to make this a series review, but instead I feel like I'm just fangirling about how much I love these characters. They really made the show. Plus Sylvie is played by a Northern actress, and as a Northerner myself, she automatically becomes a favourite of mine. Sophia Di Martino did an incredible job with this role. 

Taken from Twitter
I would like to take a moment to praise the aesthetic of this show. Let's start with the direction. Kate Herron did an amazing job with this show. I didn't realise while watching, but Kate Herron also directed four episodes of Sex Education (which is one of my favourite shows). Kate Herron might be my new favourite director. She is an icon. On the very slim chance that Kate Herron is reading this, then I would like it to be known that I think you're great and you've done amazing. Iconic. Now let's talk about the cinematography. This took my breath away. There's this shot (which I've included above this section and I found from this tweet), which is one of the most beautiful shots I have ever seen. I've seen a few comments about how this show is all about the female gaze and I have to agree. The shot setups, the lightning. Just everything is beautiful. I love the music! I am a big fan of soundtracks to films and TV shows, this one has now been added to the ones I listen to regularly. I could go on and on about how much I love the individual creative choices that went into making this show, such as the costumes and set designs, so instead of me rambling about this, I'd recommend the making of documentary called Assembled (there's one for WandaVision and TFATWS too). Disney+ has some great behind the scenes documentaries for their shows. 

Okay now that I've waffled about how much I love the aesthetic of this show, I will get to my one complaint. I wasn't wowed with the plot/premise of this show. I feel that it was a much more character driven show. Compared to WandaVision, which had an excellent premise and felt very unique, this wasn't as great as everyone was making it out to be. I really think that the plot was the only let down. Nevertheless, I still really enjoyed myself, I was just expecting something a bit more for some reason. That being said, I can see it having a much stronger plot in series two, which brings me nicely to my final point.

I am so excited for series two. I need to know what happens to Loki and Sylvie, as well as the other characters, such as Mobius (who was also very cool). I'd like to see more Croki and Fror (Frog Thor). I think I'll be rewatching this show soon so I can go and see all the cool Easter Eggs. A very solid show.