Monday 24 August 2020

Avatar the Last Airbender Book Tag| Carenza Bramwell

Avatar is one of my favourite TV shows. I remember adoring it as a kid and all the times I've watched it since. I saw a lot of people tweeting about it so I just had to rewatch it. I've almost finished Season Two and as I'm deep into my Avatar feels, I wanted to do a Book Tag based on it. I found this one, created by BookTuber A Clockwork Reader. This tag is split into the four nations and each section has three questions.


Water

1) Katara and Sokka: Best sibling relationship
The only sibling relationship that comes to mind when I think of siblings are the Weasley Twins from the Harry Potter series. I am going to try and not use HP that much as everyone adores it. But you can't deny that the Weasley twins have the best sibling relationship. They're just iconic.


2) Yue: Favorite star crossed lovers
I'm not sure if they count by Lazlo and Sarai from Strange the Dreamer have an amazing relationship. They meet under such beautiful yet unusual circumstances and the relationship that grows from their is incredible. They are one of my favourite literary couples.


3) Blood Bending: A book with a disturbing/unsettling concept

I would have to say that Beautiful Boy by David Sheff tackles some disturbing themes. It is a non-fiction book about his sons journey through drug addiction. It doesn't shy away from the utterly horrifying parts of drug addiction. It was a very difficult book to read, but has a valuable and interesting portrayal of drug addiction.



Earth

4) Toph - A character who's strength surprised you/or surprised the other characters in the book
I know I've already mentioned Strange the Dreamer but Minya really took me by surprise. Externally she is a child of around 8, but she's actually in her mid twenties. Some the things she did really took me by surprise and took the characters by surprise. She was a very morally interesting character in the end.

5) The Tales of Ba Sing Se - best short story/poetry collection
This is technically cheating as it isn't a collection of short stories but the only thing that comes to mind for this prompt is Another Day in the Death of America by Gary Younge. This is a non-fiction book by British journalist Gary Younge, writing about gun crime in America. Through it, Younge tells the stories of ten young men who all died on the same day due to gun related deaths. It's a very hard hitting book, but one I think more people should read.


6) Kyoshi Warriors: Best warrior character

I would have to say that Witchers from The Witcher count as warriors as I can't think of many others that I've read about. I've read the first three books in the Witcher series and I can say that the Withcers are warriors of a kind. They certainly know how to put up a good fight and kill monsters.

Fire

7) Zuko: Best redemption arc/a redemption arc that should have happened
Everyone who answers this question always says that Zuko has the best redemption arc and rightly so. It is very difficult to think of an equally good redemption arc when Zuko's exists. I'm not sure this comes close to being a redemption arc, but Jessamine from The Infernal Devices goes through some series character development. Especially in later books, she actually starts doing good deeds and makes up for some of her poor choices in the first two books.


8) Iroh: Wisest character

Again, Iroh is a character that is in a league of his own and no one can come close to him. That being said I'd say Starr from The Hate U Give is one of the wisest characters I've read from. She goes through so much yet comes so far. She also knows when to fight and when to back down. She is an incredible main character.

9) Azula: Best downfall
One of the most satisfying downfalls I've read in a while has to be the villain from The Diviners. I won't go into details as it is quite spoiler-y but it was so good to watch the characters tear him down. It was one of the few times I've felt scared by a villain and was thankful he had an epic downfall.


Air


10) Appa: Favorite fictional animal/pet
I have to pick the two cats from the Shadowhunter Chronicles, Church and Chairman Meow. Any cat will always be the best fictional pet, but these two are pretty great.

11) Aang: Purest cinnamon roll
No one can change my mind by Reed from Serpent and Dove is the purest cinnamon roll ever. He is so sweet and I adore him. I also adore Lou from S&D. Basically that entire cast of characters is pretty great and they deserve happiest as they're so sweet.


12) Avatar state: A stubborn character/a character that struggles with letting go
I'm going to cheat and pick two characters, but June and Day from the Legend series were so stubborn. They were both so fixed in their ways. I still think they were pretty great characters but could have been a tad less stubborn.

So that concludes my answers to the Avatar the Last Airbender Book Tag! If this looks interesting, then I tag you.
Carenza :) x