Thursday 20 August 2020

My Favourite Authors- 2020 Edition| Carenza Bramwell

If you scroll into the depths of my blog, you will find an ancient blog post from 2016-17 (oh those were to good days, can we go back to then?) which lists some of my favourite authors from the time. Three to four years later, it's safe to say that my reading tastes have changed a lot, so I am making an updated reading list which includes my current favourite authors. Quite a few authors have been removed from that list for various reasons and lots of new authors have been added. 

Cassandra Clare


Cassandra Clare made the cut in 2016/7 and she makes it again this year. Cassie's books will always hold a special place in my heart as they were the books that led me to discovering YA books. I've always been a bookworm, but these books opened the door for me and made me want to read all the time. I am always excited for the latest release from Cassie and what she's going to do with my precious babies next. The Infernal Devices will always be my favourite series from her and I am enjoying being back in that world so much with The Last Hours. Cassie creates easy to read, yet highly engaging books. She has some of the most diverse book casts out there and there is a book and character for everyone.  

Adam Silvera


Another writer who made the cut on the original list and makes it again is Adam Silvera. Despite the fact that I didn't enjoy his most recent release, Adam is still the king of contemporary novels. I've read all of his contemporary releases to date and each one punches me in the gut harder than the last one, which is just rude. Adam always tackles incredibly important issues, especially LGBT ones and being Latino. He has a way of creating characters that makes you fall for them and get emotionally devastated when he ruins their lives. Just once can't he write a happy contemporary where they have a happy life?   

Laini Taylor


For the first new to this list author, I had to choose Laini Taylor. Exactly a year ago, I read Strange the Dreamer and fell in love with her writing style. She has such a beautifully descriptive style, yet the story and meaning never get lost in the words. Her characters are also so layered that you can't help but fall for them. I had the pleasure of meeting Laini in 2017, after the release of Strange the Dreamer and I was ashamed that I had never read one of her books before. The Strange the Dreamer duology is amongst some of my favourite all time books, from the exterior to the interior, these books are some of the most beautiful I own. I am slowly making my way through the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series and thoroughly enjoying it.  

Shelby Mahurin 


A little book called Serpent and Dove dropped last year and changed my life. It had been a very long time since I had fallen head over heels in love with a book. I am desperate for the sequel to come out in about a months time in the UK. It was a book that I couldn't put down. It was a book I didn't want to put down. I was desperate to find out what would happen to Lou and Reed next. They had one of the best hate to love relationships I have ever seen. The characters were sassy and funny. I hope nothing too bad happens to my little beans in Blood and Honey but knowing what authors are like, they do like to torture their characters and readers.  

Taylor Jenkins Reid 


I remember everyone raving about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and saying how great it was. For once, they hype was aptly deserved. That book was incredible. It was another one that I couldn't put down and I read it in about two days. I loved how the story moved from the present day to Evelyn's life. The title draws you in, you want to know why she had seven husbands. But ultimately you want to know who was the true love of her life. The characters felt so real and the way it was written, you felt as though you had been dragged into the book. You were going along on this journey with the two main characters. I did also enjoy Daisy Jones and the Six, but not as much as Evelyn. I look forward to what Taylor releases next and to catch up on some of her books that are currently released. 

Alice Oseman 


Finally on this list is one of my new favourite contemporary authors, Alice Oseman. Alice writes the best UK based YA Contemporary novels. I have loved pretty much everything she has released. All her books tackle LGBT themes, which is something you don't see that often in UK based novels. She is also the only British author to make it on this list. The Heartstopper series is so wholesome while tackling quite series issues. She just knows how to craft a story and how to make you care. I will automatically buy anything she releases. She also happens to be an exceptionally talented artist and I am desperate to get my hands on some of her artwork.

So that concludes my new favourite authors list. I imagine I'll update this in about five years time with new favourite authors. Who is your favourite author?
Carenza :) x