Monday 1 January 2018

2017- A Reflection| CarenzaOnBooks

As cheesy as it may sound, it does feel as if it was yesterday that I was writing my reflection for 2016. It was as though I blinked and here we are, welcoming 2018 in. I am someone who loves the New Year, I see it as a time to change and reflect on the person we were in the previous year. But, for the first time in my life, I am not going to be setting resolutions to follow. Why? Because I never do. The nature of my life is ever changing and I have a habit of setting unrealistic goals, so I am going to change it. I am going to let 2018 take me where ever it wants to take me.

It has to be said that I started 2017 in a much better mindset than in 2016. If you saw my post from 2017 about 2016, then you will know that 2016 started badly for me. Well, 2017 didn't. Unless you count catching a nasty cold 3 days into the year, my 2017 started well. I went to the Harry Potter studios for the first time with my college and had an amazing time. I also got back into my singing lessons and am preparing to take grade 6 in the New Year. January was a great month, I discovered what my passions were again and it made me feel much happier than I did in 2016.

Probably the biggest and most important thing that happened to me in 2017 was that I decided (finally) what I wanted to do with my future. I had been dancing around the subject of university for a while and while I was adamant to go, I had no clue what I wanted to do. Then I saw a phenomenal play called Snow in Midsummer at the RSC and it clicked. I want to become a writer. I fell back in love with the theatre and have lost count of how many shows I have seen this year (but I would guess it's probably not far off 100). Another incredible play I saw was Angels in America. The National Theatre production blew my mind away as I had never thought about theatre on such an epic scale. To know what I want to do with my life has really helped me channel my energies into my studies and help me get the good grades I need.

With making this somewhat huge decision, I went through the joyous process of applying to university. I sent my application off in November and by the end of term, I had all my offers back. Knowing I have something to look forward to is really motivating me to do well. I have found an amazing course at an amazing university and I can't wait to start there. A part of me knows it will be here before I know it and that I shouldn't wish 9 months of my life away, but I'm so excited to start. I've been that person that always wanted to go and to have it so close actually makes me burst with happiness.

2017 was a very good reading year for me. There may have been a few dips where I fell out of love with reading or when I was very busy, but I managed to meet my Goodreads reading challenge. As I am writing this before the New Year, I don't know what exactly my final reading target will be, but I imagine it will be between 66-68. I read some great books this year and began to move away from the YA. I still love YA, but I am really enjoying branching out. Something I have decided to do in 2018 is to be stricter with my book buying. I have set myself a limit of only buying 50 books in 2018. This may seem a lot, but between December 2016-February 2017, I got over 50 books. I am doing this because of financial reasons and because I don't have the space to store books anymore. I also have a lot of unread books that I can read, so doing this might help me narrow down my TBR.

For me, 2017 was a year of Harry Potter. I went to the studio tour twice (once with college, once for my birthday). I finally saw Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and it was amazing. Harry Potter has always been a safety blanket for me. Something to fall back on when I'm having a bad day or I need to feel better. I have made several posts about my love for Harry Potter and I know I will never stop loving something that taught me to love reading. 

2018 brings many exciting changes. It's the year I become an adult. It's the year I move out and go to University. It's the year I get my shit together and stop putting so much pressure on myself. It's the year I learn to balance fun and work. It's the year I get to spend with my family and friends. It's the year I get to do many amazing things.
Carenza x