Monday 18 January 2021

Most Anticipated Releases of 2021| Carenza Bramwell

I know I'm a bit late to posting this, but I've complied a small list of books I'm looking forward to reading in 2021. I'm also going to include an honourable mentions section as I'm trying to be quite select with what books I buy this year.

Most Anticipated 

Liberte by Gita Trelease- February 18th 

Taken from Google Images

The sequel to Enchante in 2019, this is a YA urban fantasy set in revolutionary France. I remember really enjoying Enchante when I read it, but will have to admit that a reread is required. Revolutionary France is one of my favourite historical periods, so after my reread, I know I'll dive straight into this one. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here

Chain of Iron by Cassandra Clare- March 1st

Taken from Google Images


It will come as no surprise as I'm a huge Cassandra Clare fan, but a book I'm really looking forward to is Chain of Iron. This is the sequel to Chain of Gold, which is the first book in a new series. This follows the children of The Infernal Devices and their adventures in Edwardian London. Chain of Gold was a book I loved and I will probably reread it before Chain of Iron. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here
 

One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston- June 6th  

Taken from Google Images
Casey wrote a book I really enjoyed in 2019, Red, White and Royal Blue. Her latest novel follows a young woman who falls in love with someone she meets on the subway and discovers they are from the 1970s. Casey writes great LGBT comedies. This one comes out in time for summer in hardback, so if you're looking for an LGBT rom-com, then look no further. Just to preface but Casey's books are not YA, they do have explicit sex scenes so be aware of that. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here.   


Heartstopper Volume 4 by Alice Oseman- June 13th

Taken from Google Images

Alice is a favourite writer of mine, so another volume in the Heartstopper series will automatically go on my most anticipated list. This graphic novel series follows Charlie and Nick, two boys who fall in love. It goes from their relationship starting to in this instalment, being ready to say I love you to each other. Alice is an incredible writer and illustrator. Each instalment gets better and better. They do tackle important issues such as mental health. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here.     


The Box in the Woods by Maureen Johnson- June 15th 

Taken from Google Images

This is a spin-off novel from the Truly Devious world. It follows Stevie on her first case as a detective outside of that world. I reread the first two books so I could finish the series, reading the trilogy in just over a week. These a fun and easy mysteries. I've read another book from Maureen, which was just as enjoyable so if you're looking for a fun and addictive mystery, look no further. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here.  


Gods and Monsters by Shelby Mahurin- August 8th 

Taken from Google Images

Quite possibly my most anticipated release is Gods&Monsters by Shelby Mahurin, the final book in the Serpent&Dove series. I adored the first book, but not the second one. I really hope this series has a good conclusion as it deserves one. I will most likely reread the series in the lead up to it's release. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here 

Honourable Mentions

Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas- January 12th

Taken from Google Images

This is already out, but it's a prequel to The Hate U Give. I read and loved that book back in 2017. This follows Starr's father as he becomes teen father. Like many books on this list, I think THUG is due a reread around the time I read this. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here

Girl A by Abigail Dean- January 21st

Taken from Google Images

I stumbled across this book while reading a BBC article about upcoming releases for the year. It's about a young woman raised in abusive, horrific household and what happens when her mother dies in prison. I'm trying to read more adult/modern literature, so this sounds right up my alley. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here

The Project by Courtney Summers- February 2nd

Taken from Google Images

Sadie was a favourite book of mine in 2019, so to find out Courtney has a new book coming out is very exciting. This one is about a young woman raised in a cult and returning to investigate. If it is anything like Sadie, it will be a book you won't want to put down. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here

Last Night at the Telegraph Club by Malinda Lo- March 18th

Taken from Google Images

This is an LGBT historical romance novel set in San Fransisco in the 50s. It follows a lesbian couple looking for somewhere to spend one last evening together before the other is deported. It also tackles the attitudes towards communism at the time. I've really gotten into historical fiction lately, so this sounds like something I'll really enjoy. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here.  

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid- May 27th

Taken from Google Images

Taylor is a beloved writer of mine, so of course I had to put her newest release on here. Set in the 1980s across one evening, it follows four rich siblings as they throw their annual end of year summer. Across this one evening, secrets will be spilled and by the morning, their relationship won't be the same. Cannot wait for it to come out. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here.  

The Other Black Girl by Zakiya Dalia Harris- June 1st

Taken from Google Images

Similar to Girl A, I found this book on that BBC article. A satire and thriller rolled into one, it follows two black women working together in a mostly white environment. At first they get along, but strange things start happening around the office and it becomes a race to find out who did it. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here.  

Rise to the Sun by Leah Johnson- July 1st

Taken from Google Images

Leah wrote You Should See Me In A Crown, a YA LGBT black girl romance that I really enjoyed. This one is about two teenage girls who meet at a music festival and their lives are changed forever. If it's as fun and fluffy as the previous one, then this will be another hit. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here.  

Our Violent Ends by Chloe Gong- November 16th

The sequel to These Violent Delights, a 1920s urban fantasy Romeo and Juliet retelling set in Shanghai. I have mixed feelings about the first book, but I'm curious to find out how this duology ends. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here.  

The Black Volume of the Dead by Cassandra Clare and Wesley Chu- N/A 

The conclusion to the Eldest Curses series, the Magnus and Alec spin-off series, comes out at some point in 2021. I like this series, not as much as some of the main series, but am happy to read more about Magnus and Alec. To read the plot summary on Goodreads, click here

That concludes my most anticipated list for 2021. What are some books you are looking forward to?

Carenza :) x