Monday 11 January 2021

Best Films and TV Shows of 2020

2020 was the year I fell in love with films and TV shows. I watched more than I have ever watched in a single year. It was the year I realised that this was the area I'd like to work in after graduating. I've gone through the very long list of things I watched and picked my favourites. There is also a very small honourable mentions sections. 

Films

Palm Springs 

I had wanted to watch this for a while and it did not disappoint. It's a rom-com sci-fi film about two people stuck in a Groundhog-esque time loop. Sounds familiar? Two people doomed to live the same day over and over. It stars Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti as the two people stuck in the time loop. Not only is the premise funny, but the two central characters are. It came out almost a year ago, but it's still being talked about. I think thing I liked about it the most was how realistic the characters felt. They were flawed, which felt refreshing. It's a film I can see myself rewatching soon. 

Booksmart

This is another film I had wanted to watch for a while and was very happy when it dropped on Amazon Prime in spring 2020. It's about two traditionally goody two shoes students going wild on their final night of high school. Naturally chaos ensues. It's made by a predominately female creative team, which I loved. It was a film I could relate to a lot. Again it's one I could see myself rewatching and enjoying. A solid coming of age story with comedic moments and ones that tackled more serious issues. A great film about two young women and their friendship.  

Little Women

The last film I saw in a cinema before the world went to shit. Greta Gerwig is a favourite writer-director of mine. I had never read Little Women before I saw the film and I'm glad that I saw it first. A positive story of four young women growing up. Beautiful writing and directing. Stunning performances. The cinematography is amazing. I have seen it twice. It's a cosy film to watch. I look forward to whatever Greta works on next as I have the upmost faith in her. 

TV Shows

Schitt's Creek

My favourite TV show of the year was a late discovery and that is Schitt's Creek. If you follow me on Twitter, then you will probably be sick to death of me talking about how much I love this show. It's about the Rose family who go from Kim Kardashian level of wealth to loosing everything and having to move into a motel in Schitt's Creek, the town they own. It's wholesome. It's funny. It has one of the best LGBT+ relationships I've ever seen. It rightly won the emmy's it did. I have watched it three times between November 1st and January 5th. It's my go to comfort show. I think it's safe to say that I love it.

Ghosts

The latest project from Team Horrible Histories, I had watched the first series in 2019, but with the second series released in 2020, I watched it all. Another wholesome comedy show. If you were a fan of Horrible Histories growing up, then I'd recommend this. It's about a young couple that inherit an old house filled with the ghosts of people who have died there, played by the Horrible Histories troupe, who have also written the show. The Christmas special was amazing and I can't wait for series three. 

The Mandalorian

I would describe myself as a passive Star Wars fan. I have seen the films, I get quite excited when a new one comes out, but I don't know that much about the universe. If truth be told, the only I wanted to watch it for Baby Yoda. I was therefore pleasantly surprised when I ended up loving it. I feel it's something you can enjoy if you're not a die-hard fan. The relationship between the Mandalorian and Baby Yoda was adorable. The ending of Season Two had me gasping out-loud. Looking forward to Season Three.  

The Witcher

After seeing a lot of people talking about it on Twitter and having some friends tell me to watch it, I decided to watch The Witcher. I hadn't been that interested in it, but soon became hooked. I have watched it twice this year. Jaskier is my favourite character. Geralt is good, but I'd take Jaskier over him any day. I have listened to the soundtrack more times than I care to admit. I picked up the books because of it, which I'm not as big a fan of. Buzzing for series two, whenever it finally drops. 

Sex Education 

Sex Education was a favourite of mine in 2019, so unsurprisingly series two was a huge hit. It's another show that feels refreshing. It also tackled some really important issues. Like every other show on this list, I can't wait for series three. Maeve Wiley is still a favourite character of mine. I also now own the soundtrack on vinyl. 

Honourable Mentions

This is the honourable mentions section, with things I enjoyed but didn't love as much and a brief sentence on why I liked them. 

  • Fresh Meat- university comedy that made me appreciate my time at university (I'm still a student), especially during the current situation
  • The Good Place- comedy about people in the afterlife, wholesome show with the perfect ending
  • Euphoria- drama about American teenagers, tackling issues such as drug addiction, loved the performances and writing, can't wait to watch the next series 
  • 1917- war drama about WW1, told through one continuous shot, beautiful piece of cinematography
  • Knives Out- crime comedy, one of these best murder mysteries I've seen, buzzing for the sequel
  • Parasite- the Oscar winner for 2020, gripping from beginning to end, would love to watch more from the creator
That concludes my best of films and TV shows for 2020. What were some of your favourite films and TV shows from 2020?

Carenza :) x