Thursday 14 January 2021

What I've Been Watching Recently- Christmas Edition| Carenza Bramwell

Welcome to the final what I've been watching recently for 2020. This is most likely the final one overall as I am thinking of moving more towards reviews and opinion pieces rather than these long lists. From late September to the end of the year, I didn't watch as much as I've been very busy with university. 



TV 

Fleabag

One of my favourite shows of all time, I actually rewatched it twice in 2020. Once by myself and once with my housemates. This show is incredible and I haven't watched anything quite like it. I can't stop talking about it. Will always be a favourite for me. 

The Living and the Dead

Another rewatch for me. The Living and the Dead is a Halloween/Spooky season show that I have to watch every October. It's a historical paranormal drama. If you are looking for a spooky, historical drama with a great cast and superb soundtrack, then look no further. 

Miracle Workers

This is a show one of my housemates enjoyed so we decided to watch it as a group. I enjoyed the first season more than the second. A solid show, but I did find the characters two similar between the series. There were some funny moment, but mostly it was an okay show. I will probably watch the third series.

Ghosts

Ghosts has become one of my favourite shows. It's from the Horrible Histories team. It's a sitcom about a young couple who inherit a house haunted by ghosts. I have loved every single episode and I cannot wait for the next series. If you are looking for something lighthearted at the moment, I'd recommend this.

You, Me and the Apocalypse

A rewatch for me after watching ghosts was You, Me and the Apocalypse. This is a short lived show about what happens at the end of the world. I loved it when I watched in 2016 and I loved it when I watched in 2020. I'm still very sad that it never got a second series. 

Avenue 5

Next, I watched Avenue 5, a sitcom about people from the future stuck on a cruise in space. Another enjoyable show. There were some really good performances. I would definitely watch the second series whenever it comes out. 

Breeders

A show I was very excited to watch was Breeders, by Martin Freeman. This is a show about parenthood and how people struggle with it. It had some solid moments. It's another one that I would consider watching the second series of when it drops. 

The Sister

Sadly, a show I did not enjoy was The Sister. This is a murder mystery crime show about a man involved in a young women's death and how he has hidden involvement in it. There were no shocks or good twists. I just didn't care for the characters. It was just a bit disappointing as a show. 

Schitt's Creek

Going from something I didn't like from something that is my favourite show of the year, Schitt's Creek. I have watched it three times. By far my favourite show. I have taken to walking around the house going "ewww David". Very happy I decided to watch this show as it brought some joy to my 2020.  


Films

Spirited Away

I am a huge Studio Ghibli fan, so I finally watched Spirited Away. It's a classic Studio Ghibli film so it was time I watched. I really enjoyed it. Very happy I finally watched it and it was something I had to watch for uni. 

Whiplash

Another film I had to watch for uni was Whiplash. I am a fan of Damien Chazelle's work, but Whiplash was a very difficult film to watch. The two central performances were incredible. The story was not something I'd normally enjoy. I needed to watch something happier after that film.  

Coraline

Halloween is one of my favourite times of year, so naturally the next three films are Halloween ones. The first is Coraline, which I loved when it came out in 2009. We put it on in the background as we worked on some Halloween arts and crafts. I'm still ashamed that I've never read the book, but I love the film so much I think that it's okay. 

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Every year since I started uni in 2018, my friend and I have tried to watch this film. Finally, in my final Halloween at uni we managed it. I adore this film. It's a staple of my Halloween. It's very good and makes my Halloween. 

Beetlejuice

A film I had never seen was Beetlejuice. It's another classic Halloween film. However, I feel I'd have enjoyed it more if I grew up with it. It just wasn't my sort of film. There were some very good moments, but overall I didn't enjoy it that much. 

Zodiac

I had been introduced to David Fincher's work by one of my lecturers and had started watching Mindhunter on Netflix (which I still need to finish), so my family and I watched Zodiac. This is about the Zodiac killer. An atmospheric film with some solid performances. I would like to watch more of Fincher's work.  

Palm Springs

A film I had wanted to watch ever since I saw the trailer for it was Palm Springs. It's a rom-com about two people stuck in an endless time-loop. Sounds very familiar at this point. It was one of my favourite films of the year. It comes out on Amazon Prime later this year. If you like Groundhog style comedies, then I'd recommend this.

The Princess Bride

My housemates go to comfort film is The Princess Bride. This is a film I had never seen. We decided to watch it as with the way things are we both needed a pick me up. I see why this is a well beloved film. It's cosy and fun. It takes a lot to make me laugh, but this film made me laugh. Would love to watch it again and am very interested in reading the book. 

Onwards

The latest Pixar film was finally available on Disney+. Every now and then a Disney/Pixar film hits the spot. This was another solid film from Pixar. I have spotted that an alarming amount of Pixar films deal with death and this was no exception. I loved the central relationship between the two brothers. I'd watch it again and it's made me want to watch the new Pixar film, Soul. 

Happiest Season

This has become my new favourite Christmas film. It's a gay Christmas film about two young women. I felt it tackled some really difficult issues really well. I loved the chemistry between Kristin Stewarts' character and Daniel Levy's. The had the sweetest friendship. I know it will become a film I watch year after year. 

Anna and the Apocalypse

Another favourite Christmas film is Anna and the Apocalypse. This is a Christmas zombie musical comedy. Think La La Land and Shaun of the Dead had a baby. I have watched every year since 2018. I have listened to the soundtrack so many times, it's another one I have the soundtrack for on vinyl. If you are looking for a slightly more offbeat Christmas film, then look no further. 

Love, Actually 

My final film for 2020 was Love, Actually. This is another Christmas film I watch year after year. It's a classic. It's just a really good Christmas comedy. It doesn't feel like Christmas if I don't watch this film.

That concludes my last ever what I've been watching recently post. What are some stand out films and TV shows from 2020?

Carenza :) x