Monday 4 January 2021

Best Books of 2020| Carenza Bramwell

As 2020 is officially over (hurrah!), it is time to reflect on the best books of the year. I read 75 books in 2020, which is something I am proud of as I was in a bit of a reading slump for most of 2020. I will admit that there are very few books I loved, so most of the entries on this list are books I enjoyed and really stood out to me.  

Chain of Gold by Cassandra Clare



It will come as no surprise that one of the only five star reads on this list is Chain of Gold by Cassandra Clare. Cassie is an auto-buy author for me. I have loved her books for almost eight years now. Being brutally honest, this wasn't my favourite one I've read, but I'll reserve judgement until I've read the whole series. I have a full review, which you can read here. I throughly enjoyed being back in this world and will always be excited for the next Cassie Clare book.  

The Diviners by Libba Bray 



This might be a new favourite series, but I read the entire Diviners series in 2020. My favourite though, without a shadow of a doubt, was the first book. It had everything I wanted in it. There were moments when I was genuinely scared. Evie, Sam and Henry (and the remaining Diviners) are some of my favourite characters. Again, this is another one I gave five stars to and have a review for, which you can read here. If you are looking for a YA historical paranormal book set in the 1920s, then this is the book for you. 

You Should See Me In A Crown by Leah Johnson 

The only YA contemporary to make it onto this list. I'm not usually a fan of gush romance, but this was an LGBTQIA+ black girl romance. It was sweet and funny, yet it also tackled some serious issues such as racism and homophobia. It was the perfect summer contemporary. I know Leah has another book coming out this year, which I will be reading as soon as it's released. I gave it 4/5 stars.  

The Confession by Jessie Burton 



I was debating which of Jessie's books to put on this list as I adored both The Muse and The Confession, but this one had to win. I read it in about two days, which for me at the moment, is very impressive. Jessie writes very strong feminist books, with historical mysteries at there core. I couldn't put this book down, I wanted to know what happened next. I hope she has another book coming out soon as I can't wait to dive into it. I gave it 4/5 stars. 

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by VE Schwab



This is the book that restored my faith in VE Schwab and has convinced me to give her books another go. I loved it. I am so buzzed for the film adaptation that Schwab herself is working on. I have been a big fan of faustian retellings for a while, but this one was amazing. Spread over three hundred years, you can see the passion and dedication that went into it. I have a review of it, which you can read here. If you are looking for an epic historical urban fantasy, then look no further. 

My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell



I was unsure if I wanted to put this book on this list, but I knew I had to as I haven't read anything like it. It tackles a relationship between a fifteen year old girl and her teacher. Set when the victim is 15 and in her thirties, it asks if victims really consider themselves victims. It was a dense read, with times when I had to put it down as it was so dark. As it tackles sensitive subjects such as sexual abuse and death, I would read it, but only if you feel mentally up to it. I have a review of it, which you can read here

That concludes my best books of 2020. What were some of your best books of the year?
Carenza :) x