Thursday 7 January 2021

What I've Been Reading Recently- Christmas Edition| Carenza Bramwell

My final reading wrap up for 2020. Between the months of November and December, I read 12 books. December was the best reading month I've had since July-August. As it was the Christmas period, you will see some Christmas books on my list. 

November

In November, I only managed to read 4 books. I was really struggling to find time to read with my uni work and general lack of motivation. Here are the four books I did read that month. 

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by VE Schwab

This book restored my faith in VE Schwab as a writer after a couple of bad experiences with her, which included actually donating one of her books (which I know regret, especially as it was signed). I have a full review of my thoughts on Addie LaRue, which you can read here. But to summarise, I loved this book. I plan on revisiting the VE Scwab books that I own and am very excited for the Addie LaRue film adaptation. I gave it 4.5/stars.   

Mythos by Stephen Fry

I went into this expecting it to be a fictions retelling of famous Greek myths, but it was in fact Stephen Fry's non-fiction on them. He is someone I admire, so I wanted to try his writing. I did enjoy it, finding his take both informative and funny. I have since ordered the remaining books in the series. It's broadened my interesting learning more about mythology. I gave it 4/5 stars. 

Cows Can't Jump by Philip Bowne

Next I read a book I was sent through my university magazine. This tells the story of 18 year old Billy, who falls in love with a girl and chases her across Europe. It has the backdrop of Brexit and Trump being elected. I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I found it funny, but at times struggled to engage with the story. As far as debut novels go, it was a solid attempt. I think in the end it just wasn't for me. I gave it 3/5 stars. 

The Young Elites by Marie Lu


My final read of November was The Young Elites by Marie Lu. Having really enjoyed the Legend series, I figured I would fly through this one too. Sadly, I just didn't enjoy this one as much. It's one I have a full review for, which you can read here. I found the main character annoying and struggled to connect with the plot. It goes without saying but I will not be continuing the series. I gave it 3/5 stars. 

December

In December, I read 8 books, my best reading month since the summer. I did reread three books. I'm very happy to finish the year on such a high. 

These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong


My first read of the month was These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong. This is a YA historical urban fantasy retelling of Romeo and Juliet set in Shanghai in the 1920s. It sounded like something I adored. I have a full review with all my thoughts, which you can read here. I loved the characters and the setting, but found myself uninterested with the plot. I will read the sequel as I want to find out what happens, but the plot just lost me. I gave it 3.5/5 stars. 

This Winter by Alice Oseman


Next I read my first Christmas read and that was the last novella in the Heartstopper/Solitaire series by Alice Oseman. This is set before Solitaire but after Heartstopper. It follows the Spring family one Christmas. It does tackle a serious issue of eating disorders. I have really enjoyed every instalment in this series and this was no exception. I gave it 4/5 stars.  

Sherlock Holmes and the Christmas Demon by James Lovegrave

I saw this online and when I was in Waterstones with my mum, I just had to get it. This was a fun, slightly silly Christmas read. As the title suggests, Sherlock Holmes and John Watson are called to solve a Christmas themed mystery. Overall, it was a fun and enjoyable book. My only issue was that I didn't particularly enjoy the ending. I gave it 4/5 stars.

Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson

I then began my reread of the Truly Devious series as a recap for the third book. I found it just as fun and entertaining as the first time I read it. Maureen is really good at writing crime books. I flew through this books as her writing is just addictive. I gave it 4/5 stars.

The Vanishing Stair by Maureen Johnson

Next in the series was The Vanishing Stair. My feelings towards this one are very similar to my feelings for Truly Devious. Another fun and enjoyable book in this series. I gave it 4/5 stars.

The Hand On the Wall by Maureen Johnson

This was the first book in the series that I wasn't rereading. Overall, I found it an okay conclusion to the series. Some of the twists along the way were shocking, but the actual ending wasn't what I hoped it would be. I know there is a spin off novel coming out this year, which you can bet I will be getting. Despite the let down ending, I still gave this book 4/5 stars.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JKR

My final reread of 2020 was to finish the Harry Potter series I had started as a part of a community readathon in April. Obviously, with all the controversy surrounding JKR, the readathon was cancelled. I finished it myself as I couldn't stand not finishing the series. I will now probably not pick these books up for a very long time as I'm unsure where I stand with Harry Potter.  

Frank Get the Door by Janey Godley 

My final read of 2020 was a short, funny book I got for Christmas. Janey is a Scottish comedian, who throughout lockdown, has been dubbing press conferences from the First Minister of Scotland with comedic versions. Just google it and you'll have a laugh. They released this book, which is a transcribed account of the majority of the speeches. A highly funny read, it's one I'd recommend if you want something a bit lighthearted. I gave it 4/5 stars.

That concludes my final wrap up for 2020. I will be continuing this series in 2021 as I have enjoyed documenting my reads throughout the year.

Carenza :)x