Monday 1 June 2020

My Favourite Female Fictional Characters| Carenza Bramwell

I am proud to be a feminist and support my fellow women. A lot of the reasons why I am a feminist stem from my love of female characters in film, TV and books. Today I thought I'd share with you some of my favourites and what I've learnt from them.  

Film and TV

Maeve Wiley


Maeve Wiley arrived onto our screens in 2019 in a flurry of pink hair and no "bullshit"ness. She is a fierce feminist icon, with an incredible sense of fashion and great range of greetings for those in her life. I love Maeve so much that I changed my fashion style to be similar to hers, and found it suited me in the process, and dyed my hair pink. She's also insanely intelligent and regularly states she'd prefer to be at home reading than at a party, which is me to a T.

What I've Learnt from Maeve- I've learnt that you shouldn't let anyone change you. If you are happy and comfortable being who you are, then stay that way. I've also learnt that you can change if that makes you happy. We see that through her relationships with Jackson and Otis. I look forward to seeing where season three takes her. 

Ladybird


Part of the reason why I love Ladybird so much is because at the time I first saw Ladybird, I was going through the exact same thing myself. She wants to escape a hometown she feels constricted by, but finds leaving isn't what she quite hoped from. She's also another reason why I dyed my hair pink. Yes, she is deeply flawed, being shown to be selfish and thoughtless, sometimes even cruel to those around, but she learns from her mistakes. 

What I've Learnt from Ladybird- As I mentioned, while she is shown to be deeply flawed, she acknowledges her flaws and grows from them. She changes after realising that she has made mistakes. She takes the worst bits of herself and turns herself into a better person for her own sake, and those around her. 

Villanelle


Villanelle is an odd one to put on this list as she is an assassin, and has some very worrying character traits. That being said, I can't help but love her. Like Maeve, she is unapologetically herself and when she sets her sights on something, she won't stop until she has that. Even if it means killing a few people on the way. She has a brilliantly cheeky streak to her, and her humour is some of my favourite. 

What I've Learnt from Villanelle- Apart from many ways to kill a person and that the assassin lifestyle is not one I want to try, I've learnt to embrace this childish/cheeky side of me that as a grown up, we are told not to follow. I've also learnt that I am very jealous of people who can speak multiple languages.   

Fleabag 


Fleabag is another odd one to put on this list. At her core, Fleabag is a chaotic individual, who places a lot of her self-worth on her appearance and who she's sleeping with. Outside of that, she is shown to be a caring individual, looking to escape the worst points of her past. She is another women who is unapologetically herself and unafraid to be a bit outspoken, as we see with her admissions on feminism.

What I've Learnt from Fleabag- It is a bit repetitive of me, but I've learnt that it is genuinely okay to be yourself. This is something as women we are often told we have to change to fit societies views of us. Fleabag doesn't change for anyone.    

Captain Marvel 


Captain Marvel exploded onto our screens in 2019 and took the typically male superhero genre by surprise. Going and seeing this in the cinema, the first time I had ever seen a female centred superhero film with a close female friend of mine was life changing. For once, I thought maybe I could be the hero. Her ability to fight doesn't degrade her femininity. She has the perfect balance between both.  

What I've Learnt from Captain Marvel- The scene where it shows all the versions of Carol being knocked down, then getting up, before she turns to the villain and says that she doesn't have to prove anything to him, made me fall in love with her. It's a valuable life lesson, that you don't have to prove your worthiness to anyone.   

Books

Hermione Granger


Hermione Granger was the first female character that I truly fell in love with. I remember when I was little, a friend of mine and I would play at being in the "Harry Potter world" and it was always a competition to be Hermione. She is fiercely loyal and insanely intelligent. She also has to deal with Ron and Harry being idiots for seven years. She takes her status as Muggle Born in her stride and never lets it lower her potential as a witch. She is an incredible icon for girls and women.

What I've Learnt form Hermione- Embrace your intelligence. She is proud of her intelligence, and works hard to maintain that status. She also teaches us that there are more important things than "books and cleverness", that it is important to have friends, as she learns.

Tessa Gray 

Art by Taratjah

Tessa Gray is the only person that could put Will Herondale in his place. She arrives in London and turns his world upside down. She cares deeply for those around her. Like many of the women on this list, she is funny and intelligent. She is a strong female character in a world where strong women weren't as well accepted. 

What I've Learnt from Tessa- Compassion and caring don't make us weak. It's expected of us as women, but a little kindness never hurt anyone. It's the golden rule, treat others as you wish to be treated. 

So those are some of my favourite female fictional characters. Who are your favourite female characters?
Carenza :) x