Sunday 8 October 2017

September Wrap Up| CarenzaOnBooks

Yet another month has flown by and it is time to discuss the books I read in the month of September. In September I read 8 books, most of which were for college. I'm hoping to get back into "personal" reading, but I'm really happy with all the books I read in September.


The first book I read for pleasure was Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody. I was sent this for review, but I luckily received a physical copy in the July Fairyloot box. I gave it 4/5 stars, and you can read my review here.

The next book I read was Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling. I still have to finish my reread of the Harry Potter series, but I am slowly getting there. As it is October, I will be doing Spooky Week again, but this year I have decided that I am going to be posting my reviews of each of the Harry Potter books. I gave Half-Blood Prince 5/5 stars, I have definitely changed my opinion on this book, which I will be discussing in my review. 

Then I read Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. I will be reviewing this very soon, but for now, I will say that I loved it and am already reading the second book in the series. I gave Shadow and Bone 5/5 stars, but I think that it was more of 4.5/5 stars in hindsight.


I read 5 books for college this month, three of them are pictured above. The first one I read was The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I gave The Grapes of Wrath 3/5 stars as, while I enjoyed it, it was so long and very much of its time. I can appreciate why people love this book, it just isn't for me.   

I then read Look We Have Coming to Dover! by Daljit Nagra. Again, I gave this 3/5 stars. Poetry isn't my thing and I really struggle to read it. I would like to start enjoying poetry, but all the poetry I have read so far has been required reading.

Next, I read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. This was another book I gave 3/5 stars too. There were bits I enjoyed, but as a whole, I didn't enjoy this book very much. However, I really enjoyed the movie adaptation and would highly recommend.

The next book I read was Brand New Ancients by Kate Tempest. This was another collection of poetry and again, I gave it 3/5 stars. I really didn't like this, but I can understand why people do.

The final book I read was 40 Sonnets by Don Paterson, which is another collection of poetry. I gave this 2/5 stars as I really didn't enjoy this.

So that concludes my September Wrap Up, I'm hoping that I won't have has much to read for college this month and I'm hoping to finish my reading goal this month as well.
Carenza x