Monday 8 June 2020

My Favourite LGBT Books| Carenza Bramwell

Happy Pride Month!
June is Pride Month, a whole month of celebrating the LGBT+ community. Obviously, the LGBT+ community is celebrated the whole year, but this month is dedicated to them and their achievements. I am proud to be an ally of the LGBT+ community, something I have been for many years. In today's post I thought I'd share with you some of my favourite LBGT+ books and authors. 


Adam Silvera

Obviously, I had to mention Adam Silvera's books. I have been reading them for many years now and with the only exception being his fantasy novel, I have really enjoyed all of his books. They are always guaranteed to hit you right in the feels. Adam himself identifies as a gay man and his books always feature gay characters. They are widely regarded as good books, especially for their featuring of characters from the LGBT community. I will always get whatever book Adam releases as you know you are in safe hands. 

Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst 

I still can't believe that I am waiting for the sequel to this book to come out in paperback in the UK. An LGBT fantasy novel about two girls falling in love? Sign me up! I remember really loving this at the time I first read it back in 2017/18. I will have to reread it before I purchase the sequel, but I love fantasy and I love LGBT novels, so it was perfect for me. It also comes with the added bonus of it being an own voices novel, which is always good in my book. 

Autoboyography by Christina Lauren

I remember flying through this back in 2018. I had heard nothing but good things about it and it did not disappoint. It is one of the few books I have see deal with LGBT issues and religion. It is a bit predictable and cliched, but it is a solid read. I would highly recommend it if you haven't read it. The edition I have also came with a bunch of LGBT books, music and films recommended in the back.  

Heartstopper Series by Alice Oseman

These are probably some of my favourites on here. The Heartstopper series is an LGBT graphic novel series that started as an online comic. It is also the only entry on this list that is by a British author and set in Britain. It follows Nick and Charlie, a young couple as the fall in love. The art is beautiful and the story is great. Anything Alice Oseman writes is a god send and I can't wait for her other two books coming out this year. 

Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuinston

This book took the bookish community by storm last year and rightly so. It is a what if novel about if the son of the United States of America fell in love with the Prince of England. It is NA, New Adult, so it is a bit more explicit than your average YA book. It was another fun and fluffy contemporary. I believe Casey is writing another LGBT book and honestly I can't wait, if it's anywhere as good as RW&RB.

Angles in America by Tony Kushner 

I'm technically cheating with this one as it's a play, but it is my favourite thing in the whole wide world. Angels in America is an LGBT play set in 1985 New York and follows a group of people affected by the AIDs crisis. With elements of Magical Realism thrown in, it takes you on an epic journey. I will never stop talking about this play and what it means to me.

Honourable Mentions

I was unsure if I should include these two on my list, but I decided to include them in this little section. The first is Simon Vs the Homosapiens Agenda, or Love, Simon by Becky Albertalli, as it's now known. It is a well known LGBT novel about a boy called Simon who gets outed as gay at his school. It was turned into a film adptation, which I have yet to see. I was hesitant to include it as it is written by a straight author, however it is an excellent LGBT novel.

The next book I was unsure to include are the Gentlemen's Guide series by Mackenzi Lee. Mackenzi Lee has been revealed to be highly problematic, featuring racist and transphobic content in her novels. That being said, I did really enjoy the first Gentlemen's Guide book and saw it as a solid LGBT novel at the time I read it in 2018. 

Those are some of my favourite LGBT novels. What are some of yours?
Carenza :) x