Monday 22 June 2020

An Updated Anticipated 2020 Releases| Carenza Bramwell

I've decided to do an updated anticipated releases for the remainder of the year. Part of the reason why I have decided to do this is because I've found so many books to read and partly is because I am trying to read more diversely. My previous list wasn't very diverse. There are also a few books that were on my previous list that will no longer feature on this list for a multitude of reasons. 

There will be some releases on this list that have already come out but I haven't gotten around to purchasing yet. Most of this will not be out in the UK at the time of publishing this list.

The Ones That Have Been Released 

The Gravity of Us
The Gravity of Us is an LGBT+ novel about two boys who are connected through the NASA Space Programme. It came out in May but I've been on a bit of a book buying ban and haven't bought any books since April. I'm always on the look out for more contemporary novels, especially LGBT+ ones. 

The Court of Miracles 
Described as Les Miserables meets Six of Crows, this book looks right up my alley. Set in 1828 after a failed revolution in Paris, a group of the worst people (thieves and assassins) have gathered together to form the Court of Miracles. It is a reimagining of Les Miserables and uses characters from the original if the French revolution had never happened. 

A Phoenix First Must Burn: Stories of Black Girl Magic, Resistance and Hope
I stumbled across this when I was looking for more diverse books to read, especially by black authors. It features sixteen short stories from black authors which focus on fantasy elements. I haven't read many black fantasy stories, so this really intrigued me. 

The Black Flamingo
I had seen the Black Flamingo advertised everywhere, so I decided to add it to my list of books to read. It is about a young black queer British man and follows him from a young age until he is an adult. It is all about his journey of discovering his identity. I know that it is written in an usual format so I'm excited to add it to my list of books to read. 

Clap When You Land
This is another one I had seen floating around for a while. Elizabeth Acevedo, the author, has released two other books which have been met with high praise from the bookish community. I know that she uses a prose style writing and that her work is often very poetic. This one is about two girls who met after their father dies in a plane crash. 

The Ones That Haven't Been Released

You Should See Me In A Crown (July 2nd)
Everyone was talking about this book on Twitter after it came to light that the author wasn't receiving much attention due to the current pandemic. It's a contemporary novel about a young woman who is aiming for prom queen to earn a scholarship but ends up falling in love with her fellow prom queen rival. It is by a person of colour and is LGBT+ so I'm super excited to read it.  

Girl, Serpent, Thorn (July 7th)
This is a YA fantasy that I've seen floating around a lot. I've heard some rumours that it has LGBT rep in it and is based on Persian myths. It's about a cursed princess who finally has to come out of hiding for her twin brothers wedding. I don't know much about it but the things I have heard make it very interesting and the cover is gorgeous.  

Loveless (July 9th)
A very anticipated release of mine is the latest Alice Oseman novel. This one is about a young woman going to university and discovering she is asexual. Alice Oseman is an amazing LGBT+ writer and I am so excited for her newest release. 

The Black Kids (August 4th)
This was another one I stumbled across after searching for books by black authors. It is roughly based on the Race Riots of 1992 in LA. It is described as being perfect of fans of The Hate U Give and as it has some connection to real historical events, it is one I am very excited to read. 

Dangerous Remedy (August 6th)
Dangerous Remedy is another French Revolution story, expect this one is very diverse with characters of colour and LGBT+ characters. It has characters from different classes. I just have a weakness for stories set during the French Revolution as it is one of my favourite historical periods, so much so that I wrote my own for my degree. And yes, I made it very gay. 

The Lost Book of White (September 1st)
Another release from Cassandra Clare. This is the second book in her Magnus and Alec spin off series. I can't actually remember what happened in the first book so I'll need to reread it, but I'm always gonna buy Cassie's books. 

Blood + Honey (September 2nd)
My most anticipated release of the year. I am dying to find out what will happen next to my favourites. I need to find my copy of Serpent and Dove to reread it before this comes out. Fairyloot is doing one of their collectors boxes for this release and you can bet I will be buying it. 

Nick + Charlie (September 3rd)
Another release from Alice Oseman. This is already out as an eBook, but is finally getting released in physical format. It is a short story about Nick and Charlie, the two main characters in the Heartstopper series, as they are about to go to university. I am so excited for it that I cannot put it into words. 

The Confession (September 3rd)
This is the latest release from Jessie Burton. I'm just waiting for it to come out in paperback in the UK. I loved her novel The Muse, but wasn't the biggest fan of The Miniturist. I know this one is about a woman trying to find out something that happened to her mother in the 1960s and it sounds very interesting to me. 

A Deadly Education (September 29th)
I've heard that this is a much darker, more female version of Harry Potter and that is something we need right now. The basic premise is you graduate or you die. It's got witches and it's got some great sounding female characters so you can bet I'm buzzed about this one. 

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue (October 6th)
VE Schwab's novels are a bit hit and miss with me. I've yet to read one I adored. But this, an adult fantasy, based on the story of Faustus, sounds incredible. I'd never put it on my TBR until recently but now that I know what it's about I am so eager to read it. 

The Once and Future Witches (October 15th)
This is another historical fantasy witchy book set in the 1800s, can you see that I have a weakness for this type of book? I'm also going to have to admit that this is partly because the cover is so gorgeous. 

The Hand on the Wall (November 12th)
The final, I believe, in the Truly Devious series is coming out in paperback in the UK. I've really enjoyed the other two books in this series and Maureen Johnson is a great writer. I need to continue with her London mystery series that I started earlier this year. 

These Violent Delights (November 17th)
My final entry on this list is a asian retelling of Romeo and Juliet set in the 1920s. It is a debut novel and I have been following this closely on Twitter. I am a sucker for Romeo and Juliet stories, especially when they have good adaptations. This sounds incredible and I just need it to be November already.

So those were all the books I am excited for in 2020. I'm hoping they're good as sadly a lot of my 2020 anticipated releases have been very disappointing so far. 
Carenza :) x