Wednesday 26 February 2020

Audible- Is It All It's Cracked Up to Be?| Carenza Bramwell

For the first time in my life, I caved in and got an Audible subscription. I had my account from the end of August to the end of November and I thought I would share with you guys my honest experience with Audible. If you are thinking of getting an Audible account, then look no further for a review from a fellow bookworm.

Just a quick note before I get into the main section of this post, but this is coming from a UK perspective. Many of the posts I found when I was researching were from US users. There is a big difference between how it works between the two countries. 

Why I Got My Account?

I got my account after listening to a free audiobook of Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. This has since become one of my favourite books and I needed the audiobook to book 2 immediately. So I started my account. I got my two free audiobooks and happily started my journey as an audiobook user.  

Pros and Cons

For me, the main pro was that it increased the amount of books I was reading at the time. I could use the time between home and university to cram in some reading without having to lug a huge book around with me. 

That, sadly, is where the pros stop for me. As someone based in the UK, I found that the selection of audiobooks available to me was extremely limited compared to what I knew of people using it in America. During my time on Audible, I think I listened to two audiobooks I adored and the rest were okay. 

Another con is the price. For £7.99, you only get one Audible credit. I could listen to my audiobook in about a week and then have to spend the rest of the time waiting for credit day to roll around. I have a feeling that in America, you get more audiobooks per month than you do in the UK. 

After a few months of listening to audiobooks at this price and having to wait to get a new one, I decided that it was best for me if I end my subscription. I do still have two audiobooks to listen to, but I can't see myself getting an account again anytime soon.

Is It Worth It?

I would have to say that I personally didn't find my account worth the money I was spending. I was ultimately disappointed by the lack of selection of books, especially of the ones I was most interested in. It was fun for a few months, but I don't think I'll be taking out a long-term account.  

Please remember that this is just my personal experience and that other readers might have had a more positive experience than myself.
Carenza :) x