Friday 1 September 2017

A Love Letter to Harry Potter| CarenzaOnBooks

At 11 O'clock today, the epilogue for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows becomes reality. Today is 19 years later. Today is a special day for Potterheads around the world. I've already made posts about how much Harry Potter means to me and while this post is in the same vein, my love for Harry Potter has increased since my last post.

The Boy Who Lived and the Wizarding World came into my life over 10 years ago. I can't deny that it hasn't played a huge part in my life. They were the books that got into reading and the books I aspire to write. These books took the world by storm and I was caught up in it. Reading them made me want to read more. They told me of a magical world I could escape to when the real world became scary. They're still the books I read when I need to escape from our crazy world.

In these books, I found people I wanted to be and people I wanted to know. I've spent half my life being told I sound and act like Hermione Granger, though I'm not sure how true that is, I'm nowhere near as academic as she is. I found characters I longed to know more about and characters I could spend hours talking about.

Most people I know have moved on from their Harry Potter phase, but I'm still very much there. I recently went to the Studios again for my birthday and have already been once this year. I'm about to finish my reread of the books and will probably watch the movies soon. Harry Potter introduced me to the world of fandoms and fandom communities. Because of Harry Potter, I have an excessive amount of Pop Funkos (and I plan to continue collecting). Plainly, Harry Potter continues to be there for me when I feel as though there is nothing else.

Harry Potter has had a huge impact on my life and will continue to. It's made me the person I am today. I may have spent more money than I should have on this fandom, but every piece of merch or memory never fails to make me happy. And as Dumbledore says "Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home"