Tuesday 22 August 2017

Meeting Cassandra Clare and Holly Black| CarenzaOnBooks

On August 19th 2017, I had the pleasure of meeting Cassandra Clare and Holly Black at their Edinburgh signing. I had seen that they were doing a UK tour and knew that I had to get tickets. I missed out on London tickets (which in hindsight I'm happy about as I would have had to stay in a hotel), so I got tickets to their Edinburgh event instead. My family lives a reasonable train journey away, so after a 5 and a quarter hour car journey home the previous day (arriving home at 12:30 am) it became real to me that I was going to meet them.

Cassandra Clare's books have had a huge impact on my life. Aside from Harry Potter, they are what got me into reading. I have been a loyal fan since 2013 and to finally met her four years later was a dream come true. I took Lord of Shadows (my tabbed copy), City of Bones (movie -tie in edition, this is how I discovered the books) and Clockwork Angel and purchased The Darkest Part of the Forest at the event.

We arrived in Edinburgh nice and early as there were some other things we wanted to do before the event. Walking around Edinburgh reminded me how much I love this city. It's somewhere I would love to live in the future. Exploring the city reminded me off a holiday I had their a few years ago where we just explored the city. Going to Edinburgh during the festival period is one of my favourite periods to visit. There is just so much to see and something for everyone.

We joined the queue for the event at after 3 o'clock, meaning we were nice and early. It was good we got their so early as there was already a impressive queue. We got good seats in the venue, four rows back and right in front of the panel. Asides from times where I thought the tent was literally going to blow away in Wizard of Oz fashion and Cassie's mic failing, the panel went off without a hitch. I had no idea it was going to be a Q+A style panel and really enjoyed listening to everyone's questions, and Cassie's and Holly's responses. Me being me, I didn't pluck up the courage to ask a question. I regret that in hindsight, but being in the same room as these amazing women was enough for me.

Then came the signing. Cassie signed one book and stamped two others, whereas Holly signed anything you had. It must have gotten very overwhelming in the tent as Holly began running up and down the line signing books. Thank God for post it notes as it meant I didn't have to try and spell my awkward name (which I love, but no one ever knows how to spell it). Holly and Cassie where both very complimentary of my name, which always makes me smile as there are days where I'm self-conscious of how unusual it is.

I think I had to wait for about a hour to meet Cassie, but the queue moved very quickly, which was surprising because of how many people there were. This is probably the biggest signing I've been to to date. As I had taken my tabbed copy of Lord of Shadows (review is still in the works, it's a beast of a review and I want it to be as near to perfect before I post it) I got lots of questions about the tabs on my way in.

Meeting Cassie was a dream come true. She took her time with each person and listened to everything they had to say. My mum and dad (who I am very thankful to for taking me there) took photos and I have an amazing photo of Cassie having a WTF moment over my tabs in Lord of Shadows. She asked me to explain them and I managed to in a mostly coherent way. There are a thousand things I wish I had said to her and hopefully I'll get to in the future. It made my heart sing when she took a genuine interest in my little blog.

We were given a exclusive UK Lord of Shadows poster and sampler of The Cruel Prince as we left and then we had to hurry off to the train station to go home.

Thank you to Holly and Cassie for making the day as special as it was. It's a day I will cherish for the rest of my life and I hope I get to meet both of you in the future. I am still in awe that I met you only a few days ago.

I'm going to finish this with a few of my favourite photos my parents took of me meeting Holly and Cassie.