Monday 27 March 2017

Book Review Monday- Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli| It'sCarenzaB

Hey Guys!
How are you?

If you have followed me for a while, then you will know I love to use the Overdrive app. Overdrive is an app that connects to libraries across the world and using your library card you can see what ebooks and audiobooks your library has. My library, unfortunately, has a very poor selection of audiobooks. But recently, the audiobook for Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli had appeared and after seeing it in shops, I thought I would listen to it. 2 hours later, I didn't feel like I had gained anything from listing to the audiobook. I gave it two stars of Goodreads and in this post I am going to be discussing why I had such an issue with this book. If you have not read this book, then you will be spoiled as I plan on discussing spoilers.

Plot

Stargirl. From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, the hallways hum with the murmur of “Stargirl, Stargirl.” She captures Leo Borlock’ s heart with just one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with just one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. At first.  

Then they turn on her. Stargirl is suddenly shunned for everything that makes her different, and Leo, panicked and desperate with love, urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her: normal. 

In this celebration of nonconformity, Newbery Medalist Jerry Spinelli weaves a tense, emotional tale about the perils of popularity and the thrill and inspiration of first love. 

Opinions

Like I said at the beginning of my review/ discussion, I really didn't enjoy this book. It may be because it came out 17 years ago or it may be because it was aimed at people younger than myself. I'm just going to jump straight into why I didn't like it. When Leo and Stargirl begin dating, Leo urges her to change so that she fits in and she does. But as their relationship develops, Stargirl becomes unhappy with her new identity and Leo can't accept her for who she is. I can't remember the direct quote, but Leo says something like I was so happy she changed.

If you are in a relationship with someone and they force you to change who you are so you fit in, they are not worth it. It is disgusting that the author included a character who cared more about his popularity than about his own girlfriends happiness. 

I personally found all the characters annoying. I understand that Stargirl is supposed to be seen as "unusual", but the other just made her seem mad. Maybe I read this book at the wrong age, but this book just wasn't for me. I have no intentions of picking up the sequel and I wish I could have the two hours back I spent listening to it.

So that concludes my rather short review. I decided not to do this post in my usual style as this was more of a discussion rather than a review.
Love,
Carenza x