Friday 25 March 2016

February Illumicrate Review| It's Carenza B

Hello!
So today I have something a bit different planned and I am going to be reviewing the February Illumicrate. I ordered and received mine in February but I wanted to read the book and test the products out before sharing my opinions with you guys. Without further a do here is my February Illumicrate Review!

Before I start the review, I will answer some questions that might arise in the comments!

What is Illumicrate?
Illumicrate is a quarterly (every 3 months) subscription service. It is a book based subscription box and each box comes with a new release (typically YA) and 3-5 bookish items. It is a UK based service run by Daphne from Winged Reviews.

How much does it cost?
Illumicrate costs £29.99 per box. This includes postage if you live in the UK, but if you live outside of the UK you will have to pay shipping fees.

How did you hear about Illumicrate?
I heard about Illumicrate through Sasha Alsberg's YouTube channel and it sounded really good. I then reached out to Illumicrate to ask if they could send me a box, sadly they had run out but they did offer me a discount code instead.

So those are so quick questions that I think people might ask and now I'm going to go into detail about the contents of the box.

Contents

This is what the box looks like from the outside. There is a lot of yellow confetti when it is opened and I really enjoyed this. 

This is a brief overview of the contents of the box, you get a really good selection of products.

The first things I found were these cool pencils from Pobble and Ping. They are exclusive to Illumicrate and I really like them. I don't think I'll ever use them because I don't want to damage or lose them.

The next thing I found was this cool Bookcase Pouch designed by Elena Illustration. You may have seen this pouch on my Instagram account. I really like it and it is super good quality. I've already taken it on two holidays and it holds a lot of pencils. This is also exclusive to Illumicrate

Next I found these super cute Love themed bookmarks from BeeDoo. These have sparked my love for bookmarks and in particular magnetic bookmarks. They are really good quality and I am currently using the one on the left. Again these are exclusive to Illumicrate.


 Possibly my favourite item from the box is this candle from Simple Co Candles. This candle is inspired by A Darker Shade of Magic by V E Shcwab (Which I have not read) and there were 4 candles you could get. I received Grey London and to me it smells like lemongrass or some other masculine scent. This is also exclusive.

The final item was this bookmark inspired by the book (Which I will show you later). I think that it is a nice touch to put in a bookmark inspired by the book. This is designed by Daydreaming Designs and is also exclusive.


There was this cool card in which had a message from the author and gave you a little inside to the world in which the book is set in. I have this pinned up next to my bookshelves. It's a really cool quote from the book and I really like the typography.

There was also this signed bookplate which I have now stuck in the front of my book. I have never received a signed bookplate and her signature is really cool.





There were some promotional items included as well. They were for 2 books that are coming out soon, one is The It Girl by Katy Seagull and the other is The Dark Days Club and I don't know who this is by. I think it's really nice that they included promotional products as it lets the subscriber find new books.

Another thing that was included was this recipe for lemonade and it is made by a character called Grace Reed. I don't know where this is from but I think it's a nice touch and in summer I will be using this.



Finally the book, you guys might already know this as I reviewed it for my last Book Review Monday Post. The book was Truthwitch by Susan Dennard, my review of which you can read here. I won't go into too much detail as my review has all my opinions, but I will say that I didn't enjoy the book and that I found it rather repetitive and too complicated (my review explains why).

So overall I really liked my first Illumicrate and I will eventually get round to subscribing for the next box. I think it's good value for money and I really enjoy waiting for it. I rate it 4.5/5 stars.

So that was my review of Illumicrate, I hope you liked it. Leave a comment saying what your favourite item was and remember that I will not be blogging through April, May and June because of my exams (my full reason can be read in my February Update). If you have any business inquires please email me on my business email itscarenzab@gmail.com
Carenza x