Monday 14 March 2016

Book Review Monday- Truthwitch by Susan Dennard

Hello!
So I have my 4th Book Review Monday post and this time I am reviewing Truthwitch by Susan Dennard, I received this in the February Illumicrate (my review of which will be going up on 25/3/2016). I had never heard of it before then and was excited to read it, so without further ado here are my thoughts, feelings and opinions on Truthwitch.
WARNING: This review contains spoilers so do not read if you are/ want to read this book.

Cover



I'm going to be honest, I don't like the cover for this book. It has nothing to do with the book and I have no idea who the girl is supposed to be. I do like the typography used for the title though. Also I want to apologies for my cat being in the photo, he decided my bed was the best place to curl up on. Also, I am not mad keen on Hardback books. I'd say around 10% of my books are Hardback.

Plot 

What Goodreads says:
"In a continent on the edge of war, two witches hold its fate in their hands.
Young witches Safiya and Iseult have a habit of finding trouble. After clashing with a powerful Guildmaster and his ruthless Bloodwitch bodyguard, the friends are forced to flee their home.
Safi must avoid capture at all costs as she's a rare Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lies. Many would kill for her magic, so Safi must keep it hidden - lest she be used in the struggle between empires. And Iseult's true powers are hidden even from herself.
In a chance encounter at Court, Safi meets Prince Merik and makes him a reluctant ally. However, his help may not slow down the Bloodwitch now hot on the girls' heels. All Safi and Iseult want is their freedom, but danger lies ahead. With war coming, treaties breaking and a magical contagion sweeping the land, the friends will have to fight emperors and mercenaries alike. For some will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch."

To be honest, this is the best way of describing the plot. The plot is quite simple: They are being hunted, but all the terminology made it hard to understand what was happening (I'll talk about this more in my Opinions section). The Goodreads rating for this book is 4/5 stars on average.

Opinions

I am going to be honest, I did not enjoy this book. It was very slow paced until the very end were everything seemed to happen. I felt as if there were too many action scenes and they were almost always straight after another. The one major thing that held this book back was terminology, I didn't understand half of it and it wasn't explained. I felt as though I spent more time trying to work out what was happening than actually enjoying this book. I don't think I would have read this if it hadn't have been sent to me. I do love the premise of this book, that it's two girls friendship that save the day but there wasn't much of that friendship in the book. I will be continuing with this series as I am interested to see were it goes but I don't have high hopes at all.

Also I have decided not to include a Characters section in this review as I find it really hard to explain the terminology and I felt that the characters were too similar to ones in the book and ones that existed in other books.

So that is my review of Truthwitch by Susan Dennard, please remember that these are my opinions and that I am not trying to offend anyone in anyway. You can now follow my blog by using the follow by email option and I have direct links to my Twitter, Instagram and Goodreads down the sides. If you have any business inquiries please drop me an email at itscarenzab@gmail.com
Carenza x