Thursday 18 February 2021

Getting Back into Art| Carenza Bramwell

This is a bit of a different post from my normal ones, but today I wanted to talk about how I'd like to get back into art. By art, I mean drawing, but I am open to trying other mediums. This was a goal of mine for 2020, but due to various health issues and the shit show that was 2020, I abandoned it. So I've decided it's something I'd like to pick up again. In this post, I wanted to talk about why and how I'm planning on doing this. It's partly due to my interest in all things creative and partly to have a hobby that isn't linked to my work life. 

It's A Hobby

Quite possibly the main reason I want to get back into art and drawing is because it's something I could see becoming a hobby. So far, my only hobbies are all interlinked with "work" and my degree. I read a lot of books. I watch a lot of films/tv shows. I enjoy these things but when you study Creative Writing, it reaches a point where it feels like you aren't switching off because you are constantly surrounded by writing. 

I want something to do that genuinely feels like a hobby and not because it's useful to my life. I miss being able to switch off and enjoy myself. I think by getting back into drawing, I could give myself the break I need. I am almost always working on something. Whether that be for my degree, content creation or the student magazine I work on at uni, I do something for one of these everyday. I'm in my final term and to be honest, I am very stressed. I know I need that little rest bite from everything, so by spending some time drawing or doing something arty, it could give me that break I need. 

It's De-stressing

As I've just touched on, I need something to give me a bit of relaxation time. I'm not saying that colouring in is an art form (though it could be considered one), but I've spent some time colouring in and I've found it so relaxing. Just focusing on what I'm colouring and giving my brain a break. I think getting back into drawing will help with moments of relaxation. 

It's Something I Enjoy

I come from quite a creative oriented family, so it's really a surprise that I'm interested in all things creative. I used to love going to galleries and finding somewhere to draw whatever painting I was sat in front of. I was that kid that would sit and be annoying. I'm not sure why or when, but I lost interest in drawing. It's something that used to give me a lot of pleasure, but now it's something I barely do and I have so many art materials from my days when I would draw. 

I'm not a very confident drawer, so it's something I'd like to improve. I plan on getting back in with physical drawing before potentially trying digital art. I could see digital art being useful in the future, but I want to be more confident with pen and paper first. All of my other interests (writing, books, films/tv, theatre), as I mentioned earlier, have become connected to my life plans. This would be something purely for fun.  

How I'm Going to Do This?

The September 2020 Scrawlr Box, not featured is this months sweet as I gave it to my mum

I recently purchased my very first Scrawlr Box. They are a UK based art subscription service. I bought one of their back list boxes from September 2020, which focused on Posca Pens. For £17.00 and free postage to the UK, they sound amazing. I'm really looking forward to trying this new medium. My goal is to hopefully set aside at least an hour a week to work on this new skill. It might become less as my work load increases. If I don't have time to do this, then I think colouring in would be something I could see myself enjoying. 

I hope you enjoyed this slightly different post from me. What's something you're hoping to get back into?

Carenza :) x