Monday 1 February 2021

Bridgerton TV Show Review (Contains Spoilers)| Carenza Bramwell


Taken from Google Images
Title- Bridgerton
Creators- Chris Van Dusen
Cast- Phoebe Dynevor, Rege-Jean Page, Jonathon Bailey, Nicola Coughlan and Claudia Jessie, plus many more
Genre- Alternative Period History Drama
Length- eight episodes
Platform- Netflix
Rating- 3/5 stars 





Plot

Wealth, lust, and betrayal set against the backdrop of Regency-era England, seen through the eyes of the powerful Bridgerton family.Based on the popular Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn. The main characters are named A-H in birth order: Anthony, Benedict, Colin, Daphne, Eloise, Francesca, Gregory, Hyacinth. Book 1, The Duke and I, features Daphne and Simon's story.

Taken from Bridgerton's IMDb page

Opinions 

Taken from Google Images

This show was everywhere. You couldn't escape people talking about it. It's not the type of show I'd normally gravitate towards. I like period dramas but not usually the ones with a lot of romance. However, after hearing everyone talk about it, I figured I should give it a try. There was a lot of talk around the casting for the show, both good and bad. Some people were very happy that a normally very white genre was making an effort to be more diverse, however there were talks about how the books had racist undertones and it was diversity for the sake of diversity. Personally, I'm not sure where I stand on this issue, but I would recommend looking into it more. I think I should mention I have not read the books and probably won't. I haven't heard the best things about them. This seems to be one of the rare cases where they've taken an okay source material and turned it into a good show. 

Taken from Google Images

Bridgerton was very melodramatic and that is an understatement. I think these types of characters are doomed to be over the top. There were quite a few moments that were meant to be serious, but I couldn't help laughing at them. I don't think the fault lies with the actors, but with the source material and the scripts. I can't remember what episode it was, but it was a scene between Daphne and Simon, where Daphne was talking about how she could become a princess and actually stomped her foot. It just made me laugh. Also, the sex scenes were so ridiculous. The first one between Daphne and Simon made me laugh again. I think the performances were admirable, I'm not sure about the writing. 

Taken from Google Images

Speaking of Daphne and Simon, I have to say that I did not like their relationship. We all knew it was heading down the romance line, we could see that a mile away. I actually thought that those scenes where good. They had good chemistry. But once they were married, it all went downhill. Miscommunication is my least favourite trope and this show used it a lot. They were both in the wrong at multiple occasions throughout their marriage. I hated the plot line where Simon says he can't/won't have children and Daphne's response. It's a very contentious issue. I have heard some talk that when this book was released in the early 2000s, that was an empowering moment for women, but since the #MeToo movement, attitudes have changed. Regardless of when it was written or what the attitudes at the time, Daphne did not have consent and it was wrong. As far as their characters go, I didn't really like them. They had a few shining moments, but overall I found them dull. Again, this isn't a comment about the performances, as I felt the two actors did well. As this was their love story, it was probably my least or at least one of my least favourite moments in the show. 

Taken from Google Images

Two characters I adored were Benedict and Eloise Bridgerton. I think they are generally well loved from the show. They had interesting story lines and good characterisation. I loved the scenes between the two of them. I'm hoping we get more of them in the upcoming season as they were the two I loved the most. Eloise was iconic. There's a lot of chatter online, particularly on YouTube, about how these two have "queer vibes" and I agree. I know that from what I've heard about the books that they'll probably end up in straight relationships, but I hope the show with it's interest in diversity, allow them to explore alternative relationships. My new favourite chaotic sibling duo. 

Another thing I didn't enjoy that bumped down my rating was the ending and specifically the announcement of who Lady Whistledown is. I know this is in the books, but from the TV show (and only having seen the show) it didn't make sense. Why would Penelope ruin her family just for the boy she likes? It frustrated me to no end. I did like Eloise trying to investigate who Lady Whistledown was. I'd be interested if this plotline was in the books. 

Something I want to highlight is the production itself. The costume and set designs were gorgeous. As always for a Netflix show, they went big and it looked good. I also really liked the music, using modern songs in the style of Regency music was a nice touch. I hadn't been aware that they were doing it until I heard Toxic by Brittany Spears on a cello. I do appreciate a good behind the scenes team and this one went all in. 

Despite my issues with the first season, I would watch the second one as I know it's going to focus on Anthony, who was a character I enjoyed. Jonathon Bailey is an actor who I've watched for a while, ever since I was a kid and he played Leonardo in Leonardo. I'd be very happy to see him in the spotlight. I know a lot of people who really enjoyed this show, I just don't think I was the intended target. However, after the announcement of Lockdown, this was the perfect show to take our minds of everything. Hence, the 3/5 stars rating.

What did you think of Bridgerton?

Carenza :) x