Thursday 25 February 2021

Hilda TV Show Review (Contains Spoilers)| Carenza Bramwell

Taken from Google Images 

Title- Hilda
Creators- Luke Pearson, Stephanie Simpson and Kurt Mueller  
Cast- Bella Ramsey, Daisy Haggard and many more
Genre- animated, urban-fantasy, drama
Length- twenty-six episodes 
Platform- Netflix
Rating- 4/5 stars




Plot

Hilda is a British-Canadian-American animated urban fantasy drama television series based on the graphic novel series of the same name by Luke Pearson. Produced by Silvergate Media and Mercury Filmworks, the series follows the adventures of fearless Hilda, a young blue-haired girl who, along with her deerfox Twig, moves to the city of Trolberg, where she befriends even the most dangerous monsters.

Taken from Hilda's Wikipedia Page

Opinions

Taken from Google Images

My connection with the Hilda stories starts back in 2010-2011 when I was on a day trip to Edinburgh and I visited a gallery where they were selling the first two books. I can't remember what gallery now, but I have this memory of asking my parents to get me the books. I liked the look of the stories and the artwork. I must have read them at the time and throughout the years since they have survived many book unhauls. I'm not sure when I became aware that they were adapting them for a Netflix show, but I had to watch it. The first series came out in 2018 and I watched it a couple of times. As I waited for a second series, I almost forgot about the show. Then suddenly, in December of last year, I saw that there was a new series. I had to watch it. I decided to rewatch the first series as I couldn't remember much from it, which was a smart decision. 

Taken from Google Images

This show made me really want to go exploring. I think I've been feeling like that a bit more because of lockdown and being nearly a year into a pandemic, but I just want to go somewhere and do something. Hilda would go exploring and find things to draw and I want to do that. It reminded me of when I was a kid and I would go to art galleries with my family, I would always find somewhere to sit and draw, even if it was in the middle of the floor. I want that excitement again. Also because of this show, I want to get back into drawing. I wrote a whole blog post about this, which you can read here. I've caught the exploring and creative vibes from this show. 

Taken from Google Images

I really loved the characters in this show. They each felt unique and had their own interests. Hilda is a great character. She's kind and caring, her passion for the wilderness and nature is really admirable. Frida and David are great characters, both with their own arcs and development. Alfur is a cute character. I love Wood-Man's sassiness. Hilda's mum, Johanna, could easily have become a disliked character as the mother who sometimes stops Hilda from doing the reckless things she does, but she's a very fleshed out character and I appreciated this. The creatures featured in this show are stunning. Twig is an icon, so is Raven. 

Taken from Google Images

I adore the art style of this show. It's very different from the book, which I'm kinda glad that there's a distinction between the books and the show. The colour palette is beautiful. I really want to spend some time drawing some of the scenes from this show as I love them so much. Forbidden Planet have released a line of merch for this show and I'm so tempted. I only own the first two books, so I am planning on getting all the graphic novels and reading them. This show is just so wholesome and fantastical, it was the perfect thing to watch during lockdown. I needed a bit of escapism and I got it. 

The ending of series two made me gasp. I cannot believe that Hilda and the baby troll have somehow swapped. I really need to know what happens. Hopefully we don't have another two year wait between series, but I know animated shows take a while to make. I think they're developing a movie length episode and I am very excited. 

What did you think of Hilda?

Carenza :) x