Thursday 22 October 2020

My Social Media Habits| Carenza Bramwell

A goal of mine this year was to be more active on my social media sites. It has never been a strong point of mine and was something I often forgot to do. However, recently I've been posting more on my social media sites and have noticed that I have been getting more views than I used to. In today's post, I will be talking about my social media habits, why I am doing this and how. 

I would like to add a small disclaimer that I am not doing this for views, stats, attention and so on. I am doing this because I genuinely enjoy it. Obviously, getting the views and so on is a rewarding feeling as it means I am not creating content that is just sitting in the endless void that is the internet.  

Taken from Google Images 



My Social Media Habits

To put it simply, my social media habits are as follows. I post two blog posts a week, one on Monday and one of Thursday. My other two main platforms are Instagram and Twitter. I split my time 50/50 on them. I post on Instagram on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. This means I post on my stories three times a day and I put up one Instagram post. For Twitter, I post on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I've been posting three times a day on there as well. 

This looks like a lot and it is a lot of work behind the scene. It takes a lot of planning and I already have a fairly busy lifestyle. However, when you break it down, the workload is fairly spread-out. There are only two days a week where content is going live on two different platforms. 

Why?

The big question is why am I doing this? I've already mentioned I'm a very busy person, so why add to my work load? Truthfully, I've been creating content online for over five years. There are times when it feels like an obligation, but most of the time I do it because I find it fun. It challenges me as a person. This isn't a style of writing that I would normally gravitate towards. I share select details about my life online. 

The changes in my social media habits started because I wanted to do this properly. I've been half-arsing it for many years and now I finally feel like I can do it properly. There is also a chance once I finish my degree this could be something I turn into a job. I enjoy being creative and I don't mind working from my own home. By posting more regularly online, it expands who sees my posts. It's also part of the requirement as if you don't use social media, very few people will just stumble across your blog/website. Social media is your best friend in this line of work. 

How?

Another big question is how am I doing this? The first step I took was to sit down and work out when my posting days would be. I worked out a little schedule that I wrote out by hand and have stuck next to my desk. It means I can keep an eye on what should be going up when. The next step is to preprepare a lot of my content. Blog posts are usually written the week before they go up. I plan content in advance, especially blog posts so I don't sit down and have nothing to write. With Twitter, I've started scheduling tweets. It means that I can go about my day and know I will still have content going up. I also set time aside to take my Instagram photos. I usually have about two weeks of photos taken in advance, meaning that I'm not having to constantly take photos. All this preparing makes my workload at the time a lot easier. On average, I'd say I spend maybe three hours a week working on my social media content, most of that time going into writing blog posts. It takes up such a small chunk of my life. The thing I'd take away from this section, is that planning is a very useful resource when trying to manage multiple social media platforms. 

That concludes my post on my social media habits. I hope this helped you with yours.
Carenza :) x