Monday 12 October 2020

My Autumnal TBR| Carenza Bramwell

Autumn is upon is. Leaves are falling. The evenings are getting darker. Jumpers are in fashion and you can drink as much hot chocolate as you desire. Autumn is my favourite season, it always has been. I find it very cosy and calming. With the change in the season, it means it's time to find some autumnal books to curl up with. I am very bad at sticking to TBRs, so I am only picked five books I plan on reading, from a variety of genres. 

Mythos by Stephen Fry



The first book on my list is Mythos by Stephen Fry. I picked this up during the summer as Stephen Fry is someone I admire, yet I've never read any of his books. I've been interested in mythology for as long as I can remember, and as I had heard nothing but good things about this book, I decided to pick it up. I think there is another book or possibly two in this series. They are retellings of classic Greek myths. I've read a couple of other books like this, so I think I should enjoy it. I can see myself curling up with this book, most likely with a hot chocolate and some nice music in the background. 

The Professor by Charlotte Bronte



A few weeks ago, I picked up a second hand copy of the Professor by Charlotte Bronte. I've only ever read one novel by the Bronte sisters, that being Jane Eyre. I know that there is some connection between The Professor and Jane Eyre. The Bronte sisters are fascinating people to me and I've been meaning to read more of their work. I even intend on eventually rereading Jane Eyre as I haven't read it in about five years. I believe the Professor is based on Charlotte's time as a teacher in Brussels. I'm excited to read more classics as I don't have the best track record with them. 

The Confession by Jessie Burton 



I read my first Jessie Burton novel, The Muse, earlier this year and I adored it. I then read The Miniturist and did not enjoy it. So I'm hoping I do enjoy this book. From the blurb, I've gotten some Evelyn Hugo vibes from it. It's about a young women trying to find what happened to her mother as she never knew her. It leads her to a Hollywood actress and there is a big revelation. I believe it has a dual timeline, so we get to met the mother and the daughter separately. The Muse was so beautifully written that I cannot wait to dive into another book by Jessie.   

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames 



A bit of a different book, but one I'm no the less excited to read. I picked this and the second book up in a charity shop after hearing nothing but good things from them from Piera Forde. She is the Queen of adult fantasy on BookTube, so I'm very intrigued to read these books. I don't actually know much about them, but I've heard they're quite humours fantasy books. The tagline is "the boys are back in town" and I think it's about these middle-aged bounty hunters reuniting. It sounds right up my alley, and yet again, is another book I cannot wait to dive into. 

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald 



Now this is actually a book I've read many times, but for some reason I'm craving a reread. I studied this for my A-Level English Literature and loved it. I'm now working on my dissertation which will be set in the 1920s and I decided that I should read a classic 1920s text. I've already read this at least six times, but this will be my first time reading it for fun and not for my education. It might also inspire me to read some more F Scott Fitzgerald as he is a brilliant writer. 
 
And that concludes my TBR for this autumn, stick around and key an eye out for my wrap ups as I'm sure some, if not all, of these books will feature on them.
Carenza :) x