Sunday 4 June 2017

April and May 2017 Favourites| It'sCarenzaB

For the first time in a while, I am doing a combined favourites post as due to exams I didn't have time to post one in May for April. But, it does mean that this post is going to be twice as long which is a good thing.

Books

My favourite book for April is The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. I had the pleasure of meeting Angie while I was reading this book and it added to my experience. If you are looking for some diverse reads, then this is a great book. 










Seeing as I only read one book in May, my favourite book in May was A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas. My review is coming very soon, so stay tuned for that.











Culture

April
I have two favourite plays, the first being Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead at the Old Vic. It follows the characters of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern from Hamlet and shows us their side of the story while interlocking with Hamlet (the play). The main reason I went and saw this was because it had Daniel Radcliffe in it. Even if it hadn't had Daniel in it, it was a phenomenal play and I would love to see it again in the future.  

My other play favourite is The Ferryman by Jez Butterworth. I have already seen Mojo by him, so it was exciting to see his new play. I believe it is still on at the Royal Court and if it isn't, I know it's transferring at some point into the West End. It has elements of comedy, but also has a message running through it which is something that happens in some of his other plays.

A film I was very excited to see was Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. I had loved the first one and was so happy to see the second in the cinema. I will say that my favourite thing about this film is Baby Groot. I would happily sit and watch a two hour feature film of Baby Groot being very cute. It's been over a month since I saw it and I still can't decided if I love volume 1 or 2 more.

May
I spent the majority of May listening to the La La Land soundtrack. I adore the film, so listening to the soundtrack has been great while I wait to get the film on DVD. It's a very calming soundtrack, so listening to this while revising was nice.

If you saw my last favourites post, then you'll know that a play from the Royal Shakespeare Company made it on to the list and another one has this month. I went and saw Visa Versa, which is a new comedy set in Rome. If you can get to the RSC and see this, then you will have a great time. Even if I did sustain a very mild injury from one of the actors, I had a great time. (It was very mild, and more of a shock than an injury) 

Another great play I saw in May was The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui at the Donmar Warehouse. It was a great play and Lenny Henry played the title role. It was quite scary how the title character was very similar to several politicians, both alive and dead. 

Something I finally started watching in May was Anime. I have been a fan of Studio Ghibli since 2012, so it was time I dived headlong into the dark hole of Anime. I absolutely love it. I've been using an app called Crunchyroll to watch it. I've completed Yuri on Ice (review/discussion post coming this month) and have watched 15 episodes of Attack on Titan. If you are a fan of Avatar the Last Airbender, then you will love Anime.

Bits'n'Bobs

April
With the release of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, I loved having my Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1 tsum tsums on display. At some point, I plan on getting the Vol 2 tsums as Baby Groot is adorable and needs protecting.










May
In May, I added four new Pop Funkos to my collection. Two Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (they're both Baby Groot), Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones in her outfit from season 1 and the Demiguise from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

With exams squashing me in May, I needed to find time to relax and when I wasn't revising, I was colouring as it was really calming and I actually quite enjoyed it. My mum bought me an amazing Sloth themed colouring book which I have been enjoying colouring.

So that concludes my rather long favourites post for April and May, hopefully in the future these posts won't be as long.
Love,
Carenza x