Monday 15 November 2021

What We Do in the Shadows Series Three TV Show Review (Contains Spoilers)| CarenzaOnBooks

Taken from Google Images 

Title- What We Do in the Shadows 
Creators- Jemaine Clement (based on the 2014 film of the same name)
Cast- Kayvan Novak, Matt Berry, Natasia Demetriou, Harvey Guillen and Mark Proksch
Genre- mockumentary, sitcom 
Length- 10 episodes, three series 
Platform- BBC iPlayer (UK)
Rating- 4/5 stars  





Plot

Set in Staten IslandWhat We Do in the Shadows follows the lives of three traditional vampires, Nandor, Laszlo, and Nadja; Colin Robinson, an energy vampire; and Guillermo, Nandor's familiar. The series revolves around the centuries-old vampires interacting with the modern world and other supernatural beings.

Taken from Wikipedia

Opinions

Taken from Google Images

After adoring the first two series, I was desperate to watch this series. There was quite a long gap between them, partly because of the pandemic and partly because the UK gets a delayed release date. I believe this series started in like August-September in the US, but only came out earlier this month in the UK. I watched in about three sittings because it was so fun and I needed to know what crazy things these guys would get up to this time. 

Taken from Google Images

I feel like this series they really went all out, especially with the storylines and comedy. It's been a while since I watched them, I haven't seen the first series since 2019 and the second one since September 2020. I remember them being good, but this one felt different. It feels much more established and easier to connect with the characters. My favourite character would have to be Nadja because she just gets stuff done and bosses the men around, which is great. The plot line with her and Gail was so funny. I also really liked Guillermo this series, he's grown so much as a character compared to the others and feels well developed. I'd love an episode just focusing around him and his non-vampire related life as I think that would be great. 

Taken from Google Images

Probably my favourite set of stories from this series was Nandor's storyline. I did not expect him to go down the path he did. I liked how they tackled mental health and made it link to the vampires, but also got the balance between funny and series right. I think the other characters reactions were great. Nandor just wanted to find love, but it kept going wrong for him. He had the strongest and most engaging storylines this series as we got to see some personal growth.  

Taken from Google Images

Sadly, I already knew about the big twist for this series, which was that Colin Robinson died towards the end. I had accidentally seen a spoiler that he died, which was sad. However, I did not expect that he'd come back as this weird baby thing, that scared me when it sort of jumped out of the crib. Colin is a character that you love to hate and hate to love, so it was shocking when he died so quickly.

I am so excited to see what happens in series four, which has already been confirmed. My theories so far are that Lazlo is going to be looking after the weird Colin Robinson baby, Nadja and Guillermo are going to have a great time in London and bond, while Nandor is going to somehow end up stuck in New York. I just wish that series four was already out as I am desperate to see it, just like I was with this one. I know it's going to be brilliant.