Thursday 3 December 2020

The Joys of Christmas Book Tag| Carenza Bramwell

As it is now December, a month I love unconditionally for the festivities, I thought I would to a Christmas book tag. I found this one online and it was originally made by Samantha at Novels and Nonsense on BookTube. 

My Christmas tree two years ago



1) Anticipation: The Christmas Excitment is Real, What Book Release(s) Are You Most Anticipating?

I don't actually know many books coming out in 2021, but the fourth instalment in the Heartstopper series by Alice Oseman is coming out in early 2021. Alice is one of my favourite authors and I will always buy what she releases. If you are a fan of YA Contemporary novels, especially ones that tackle LBGT issues, I'd recommend Alice's books. The Heartstopper series is an adorable graphic novel series about two British boys falling in love.

2) Christmas Songs & Carols: What Book or Author Can You Not Help But Sing It's Praises?  

Without a shadow of a doubt, a book I will go on and on about is Serpent and Dove by Shelby Mahurin. It is one of my favourites from the last few years. I wasn't the biggest fan of Blood and Honey, but Serpent and Dove really stole my heart. I haven't read anything like it since I first joined the bookish community in 2016.

3) Gingerbread House: What Book or Series Has Wonderful World Building?

It would be a crime if I didn't choose Cassandra Clare's book. The world she has built across all these series is so detailed and fleshed out. It's a real treat as a reader to be able to explore a world across so many series from one author. 

4) A Christmas Carol: Favourite Classic or One That You Want to Read

I'm not a big classics person, so I'm going to bend this prompt slightly. Rather than pick a traditional classic, I'm going to pick a childhood classic and say His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman is a book I want to read. I never got into the hype as a child but with the most recent TV adaptation, I would highly consider picking up the books.

5) Christmas Sweets: What Book Would You Love to Receive for Christmas?

Honestly, I would be happy to receive any book for Christmas. But one that is quite high up is The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E Harrow. I really enjoyed her other book, The Once and Future Witches, so I would love to read some more from her. 

6) Candles in the Window: What Book Gives You That Warm Fuzzy Feeling?

Before all the JKR controversy, I would have said Harry Potter but now it doesn't feel right saying that anymore. I can't think of anymore that I've read and haven't already mentioned that give me that feeling. I am a sucker for a good romance, when it's well written. I want invest in their relationship. I think I'm going to have to cheat and pick any that have a good relationship in. 

7) Christmas Trees & Decorations: What Are Some of Your Favourite Book Covers?

Here are some books that I've purchased recently that have really pretty covers, but aren't necessarily my favourite covers of all times:


8) What Are Some of Your Favourite Things About Christmas And/Or Some of Your Favourite Christmas Memories?

Christmas is a really special time in my family as it's also my dad's birthday on Christmas Eve. We've always made a big deal of making them separate occasions but we do go all out for both. We also have a tradition of buying a new decoration for the tree every year to symbolise the year, but that's something I'll explain more in a future blog post. I love that my family makes such a big deal of Christmas and it's something I intend to continue for the rest of my life.

I hope you enjoyed this book tag and it got you in the festive mood!
Carenza :) x