Monday 4 November 2019

October 2019 Wrap Up| CarenzaOnBooks

Another month done, another monthly reading wrap up. October was a very stressful and busy month for me, meaning I didn't get as much reading done as I wanted to. I only read 5 books, 2 audiobooks and 3 physical books. I've been a bit under the weather and truthfully, I haven't been reading a lot of books that I've been excited about. I think I might be in a bit of a reading slump but hopefully I'll break it soon and be back to my old reading self. 

Sadie by Courtney Summers

My first audiobook of the month. I had heard nothing but good things about this particular audiobook and it did not disappoint. To read my full review click here. I was hooked from beginning to end and I was so sad when it ended. I think I listened to it in about five days. I would love to read/listen to more books like this as it's like nothing else I've read. 5/5 stars from me.

Let's Call It a Doomsday by Katie Henry

I had read Katie Henry's debut novel earlier this year and I had really enjoyed it. Sadly, the consensus is that her first book is better than her second one. I just found I didn't care for the characters as much as I did in Heretics Anonymous. I also felt that the love story was very forced and came out of the blue. The mental health rep in this book was great and I did enjoy the fact that it was centred around a friendship between two girls. Sadly, the rest of the book just wasn't for me. 3/5 stars.

Angels in America by Tony Kushner

This was a re-read, but I listened to the new audiobook production. If you've been following my blog for a while then you'll know that my favourite play of all time is Angels in America and they recently adapted it for the audiobook format. It was a recording using the Broadway cast, which is predominantly the cast I saw. It was amazing being able to relive the experience over again and it was still as brilliant as when I saw it. I had to stop myself from laughing out loud at certain points. The only thing that made me sad was that they cut one of the best lines in the play for no reason and I was so upset about it. Still gets 5/5 stars.

Under the Net by Iris Murdoch

I wanted to branch out and read something outside of my comfort zone, however this ended up being too far out of my comfort zone and I did not like it. I just couldn't get into it. I honestly don't know why I spent ages reading the whole thing and didn't DNF it. Maybe at some point later in my life I would enjoy this book, but I just didn't like it this time around. 2/5 stars for me.

Serpent and Dove by Shelby Mahurin

Now we come to one, if not my favourite, book of the year. I adored Serpent and Dove and I am dying while waiting for the sequel. The characters. The story. The setting. Just everything about this book was great. I haven't read a book like that in ages and haven't had an experience where I literally cannot stop thinking about it and am having to stop myself from reading it again straight away. Obviously 5/5 stars from me. It is the best. Please read it.