Wednesday 22 August 2018

Disappointing Reads of 2018 (So Far)| CarenzaOnBooks

As a general rule of thumb in the book community, I feel as though we only talk about books we love or positively about books. But, I thought it would be interesting to talk about some of the books I have been left feeling disappointed.

Still Me by Jojo Moyes

This may come as a surprise to some of my longtime readers as I loved Me Before You when I first read it. But the sequels After You and Still Me were not on the same level as Me Before You. I managed to read it through the Overdrive, which I am now glad about as I'm not sure I'll be picking up a physical copy. I feel as though Louisa's story was well done in Me Before You and that the two sequels were milking the cow for all it's worth. This was still a good, fun book, I gave it 3/5 stars, but I just feel that it added nothing to her story. It followed the same pattern that the other two books and I was happy with Lou's story in the first book. 

Silence is Goldfish by Annabel Pitcher

Another author I have loved books from is Annabel Pitcher. However, I finally decided to pick up her most recent release (and the only book of hers I hadn't read), and I really didn't enjoy my time reading it. I found the characters irritating and was not invested in the story. I have a feeling that this is because it's been about four years since I read those books and I am a very different reader now. As I've matured as a reader, I feel as though Annabel Pitcher's book might not be as enjoyable if I picked them up now. I would recommend her first two novels, but there was something about Silence is Goldfish that I did not enjoy.
  

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

I have yet to read a Holly Black book that I enjoyed. I found The Darkest Part of the Forest alright and The Cruel Prince was no difference. I had a sampler from the signing I attended and I read it after that. I was so excited and when I finally picked it up, I was underwhelmed. I plan on continuing this series, but I'm going into it not expecting that much. 
 

Zenith by Sasha Alsberg and Lindsay Cummings   

My most disappointing read of the year is Zenith. I was very excited to read this and now that I have read it, I wish I hadn't. I gave it 1.5/5 stars. To be nice, I'll say that I found it dull. The main plot of the novel was over in less than 100 pages and this novel was 500 pages. There were far too many P.O.V and the writing style made me cringe. I have no intentions of continuing this story and I can't help but feel disappointed by it.
Carenza x