Saturday 1 July 2017

June Wrap Up| CarenzaOnBooks

Now that it's officially July, I can share my June Wrap Up. Compared to May, I had a very good reading month. I haven't been in a reading mood since April for some reason, which is very frustrating when your main passion revolves around reading. On a complete tangent, I feel that my reading has simply become to complete my reading challenge on Goodreads and so I have books to review on here. I want to go back to the time when reading was something I did for fun and didn't feel like a chore. But, in June I read 6 books, which I'm proud of. I have reviews up for some of them and reviews coming for others.

The first book I read was City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. This was actually a reread and I think I started reading it in April as well. I gave it 5/5 stars, but if you read my review, then you'll know I only gave it 5/5 stars because of sentimental reasons. I do plan on continuing my reread of the Shadowhunter Chronicles then at some point in the future, I'll have reviews for all the books in all the series.

At the end of May, I discovered Anime and with the discovery of Anime has come the discovery of Manga. I read my first Manga and it was Attack on Titan Volume 1 by Hajime Isayama. I have a review of the Anime, which you can read here. I also gave this 5/5 stars as it was so beautifully drawn. It was a challenge getting used to reading from left to right, but I will be reading more Manga in the future.

I then read my most anticipated release of the year, which was Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare. My review is coming together very slowly as it is taking me a while to write (this is because I want it to be the most detailed review I've written to date). I obviously gave Lord of Shadows 5/5 stars. I loved it so much and am now beginning my patient 2 year wait for Queen of Air and Darkness. I'm actually meeting Cassandra Clare in August at her Edinburgh event and I am beyond excited.

I finally finished The War of the Worlds by H.G Wells, which I started way back in February. I gave it 3/5 stars and that's because it wasn't for me. I really struggle reading sci-fi books, which is odd as I love sci-fi tv/films. I can appreciate that this is a good piece of literature and I understand why so many people like it, it's just not for me.  

I was sent a copy of When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon via NetGalley and I flew through it. I gave it 4/5 stars because while I enjoyed it, I did have some issues which I go into detail about in my review. I am going to purchase a physical at some point and I am looking forward to her next book.

The final book I read in June was Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh. I had to read this for one of my classes in college. I gave it 3/5 stars. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't life changing. It's a book that is very much of its time and some of the things in it are quite shocking. It's rare for me to say this, but I did enjoy the TV series to the book.

I hope I have as good a reading month this month, but I do have a lot of things planned which may mean reading will have to take a backseat again.
Carenza x