Monday 4 October 2021

My Spoopathon TBR| CarenzaOnBooks

I know we're a few days into October, but I thought I'd share my TBR for the Spoopathon readathon taking place this month. In case you don't know, this is a month long readathon hosted by @spoopyhol on Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. The aim is to escape the haunted house by completing reading prompts which give you points. The points go towards your team. This is a very brief summary and you can find more information on the @spoopathon Twitter account. I am a member of Team Order of Spies and I am super excited to take part. Without further ado, here is my TBR and the prompts they will be completing.   

This also includes some non Spoopathon TBR books for the month

Gifted to You

My first book of the readathon completes the "gifted to you" prompt as this was a birthday present from my best friend back in August. I have wanted to read The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse for some time. I keep on seeing it around and know that quite a lot of people like it. I don't actually know what this is about other than it can make people quite sad. It's a graphic novel and it's on the short side, so I thought it would be the perfect book to start with. 

Autumnal Cover

For the second prompt, I have chosen The Thursday Murder Club. This has a fox on the cover and I would say foxes are very autumnal. Again, this is another book I have heard nothing but great things about. I love a good cosy, murder mystery, so this sounds like it should be something I should enjoy. 

500+ Pages and Team Colour

I really enjoyed Stuart Turton's other book, The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, so I cannot wait to read his latest book. This comes in at just over 500 plus pages and it very subtly features my team colour of yellow as the chain on the cover is yellow. I may be stretching it to fit the prompt, but I think that is a shade of yellow and therefore, it counts. 

Bonus photo of my cat Mac with my TBR!

Diverse Rep and LGBTQIA+ Rep/Author

It seems I have picked books that I've heard a lot of good things about and so my next pick is Mina and the Undead. I love a good YA urban fantasy and this one has vampires in it, so it should be good. The diverse rep in this book is that it's written by a female author (which I checked does count for the prompt) and that one of the characters is LGBT+. Part of the reason I want to read this is that I saw James Marsters, who played Spike on Buffy, saying some really nice things about this book and that made me want to read it more,  

Read it After Dark and Spooky Book 

My final book for the Spoopathon is Wakenhyrst, which is a gothic historical fiction. I bought it almost a year ago, really wanting to read it and here we are a year later. I've really gotten into historical fiction in the past year and would consider it one of my favourite genres. Add in some gothic, spooky elements and well, you've got my attention. 

That concludes my TBR for the Spoopathon. I've only pledged to go around the house once because I want to enjoy the books and I don't want to rush myself, plus I think this is quite an ambitious TBR as is. I can't wait to help lead Team Order of Spies to victory!