Monday 25 October 2021

My Favourite Halloween Entertainment- Books, Films and TV Shows| CarenzaOnBooks

Back in the day, when I first started this blog, I used to do something called Spooky Week. As the title suggested, for a week, I would post spooky related content. I did it for two or three years, but for various reasons I stopped. However, I still love making Halloween content. In today's post, I thought I would share my favourite/ultimate Halloween entertainment guide. I am going to pick one book, film and TV show to share and talk about how much I love them. These are just my personal preferences, but these are guaranteed to put my in a Halloweeny mood.

Book- Serpent and Dove by Shelby Mahurin


You are probably sick to death of me talking about how much I love this book and this series, but that's not going to stop me from talking about it. I believe Serpent and Dove is the perfect Halloween/autumnal series because of two things- witches and a gritty/dark tone. These books aren't perfect, they have their flaws, but they're so entertaining. If you love an enemies to lover romance, witches and witch-hunters, iconic characters and a beautiful magic system, then look no further. 

Shoutouts for other books that could have featured in this category are The Diviners series, The Once and Future Witches, The Devil and the Dark Water and If We Were Villains. 

Film- The Nightmare Before Christmas

Taken from Google Images

I am one of those people where it isn't Halloween unless I've watched this film. The story is great, the songs are great, the characters are great, the art style is great. In summary, it's great. It can also pass for a Christmas film, so you can watch it twice a year. I've watched this so many times I've lost count. Having now seen Schitt's Creek, I refuse to believe that the same person who played Moria Rose, also played Sally and one of the spooky kids. My brain can't cope.

TV Show- The Living and the Dead 

Taken from Google Images

This is probably the most unknown on this list as it's a criminally underrated show. If you like historical fiction, supernatural things that go bump in the night and Colin Morgan, then you'll love this show. It was a BBC show that got cancelled even before it aired, so the ending leaves you wanting more, but sadly you'll never get it. I have watched this at least once a year every year since it came out (in 2016). Some of the things that happen in it are genuinely quite scary and it's one of those shows I have to watch with the light on because it kinda terrifies me. It has a wonderful story, with a beautiful soundtrack and incredible performances. It is on BritBox or you can buy it on DVD. If you take anything from this list, then please take this show because I need more people to watch it. 

What are your go to Halloween entertainments??