Monday 11 October 2021

Bookshops I'd Like to Visit| CarenzaOnBooks

I love a good bookshop. I often have to be dragged away from bookshops by friends and family because I could easily spend hours in them. This post is inspired by my bookshop trip to Oxford, which you can read about here. There are so many bookshops I want to visit so I have compiled a list of some of my top destinations!

A bookshop from my Oxford trip 


Daunt Books, Oxford

This was one of the places on my list when we went to Oxford, but unfortunately it was too far out of the city centre for us to visit. I know that this is a beloved bookshop to those based in Oxford and from the photos I've seen, it's very pretty. I really like how they organise their books by author nationality, so you can read outside of the usual UK-USA authors, which is something I'd like to do.

Daunt Books, London

Yes, another branch of Daunt Books is making an appearance on this list. This is the one I see on my Instagram feed frequently and it is stunning. By far, one of the prettiest bookshops I've ever seen. Do I partly want to go so I have an Instagram worthy photo? Yes. But like it's Oxford counterpart, I am excited to try and find some authors from outside my usual reading taste. 

Topping&Company Booksellers, Edinburgh

Again, this may be another one I want to visit because of its Instagram worthy status, but it also just looks like a stunning bookshop. The one in Edinburgh has sliding ladders! A bookworms dream. I know they also have a large selection of signed and first editions of books. My only experience of Edinburgh bookshops is Blackwell's, where I would get a book after every time I went to the Fringe Festival. Edinburgh is a place I adore and can't wait to go back. 

Shakespeare&Company, Paris

The fact that I have been to Paris twice and not visited this shop is just a tragedy. It's a well known spot for book lovers and writers. I believe when it first opened, writers would stay to work on their novels and help out at the bookshop. This is now known as being a "tumbleweed" and one day, it is a goal of mine to do this. They have a selection of English and French books too.

The Strand, New York

The Strand feels like one of those bookshops you have to go to as some rite of passage as a bookworm. The tall shelves filled with books. A selection of bookish themed merch. It just looks like you'd have a great time wandering around. If I ever get to New York, this is on the top of my list of things to do. 

Gay's The Word, London

This is the UKs only, exclusive gay and lesbian bookshop, so naturally I want to go there. I actually ordered some books from them during the Pandemic, so I know they have a great selection of LGBT books. I think it's great that there are bookshops like this, with a focus on a specific type of writer/subject. When I next go to London, whenever that is, it's on my to visit list. 

The Tree House Second-Hand Bookshop, Kenilworth

The final entry on this list and this one is the closest to me. The reason I want to go here? They do Christmas Book Advents. 24 books hand picked and wrapped for you to open throughout December. It is literally my dream advent calendar. I also love a good second-hand bookshop. This one is part bookshop, part local arts centre. Another cosy place to browse books.   

So those are some bookshops I'd like to visit. I'm sure I'll add more to my list, so at some point in the future, I may do a part two. What are some bookshops you'd like to visit?