Friday 3 April 2020

What I've Been Watching Recently- Winter Edition| Carenza Bramwell

With everything that's been going on in my life and with recent events across the globe, it's safe to say that I've been watching a lot of TV in 2020. Today, I thought I'd share with you the TV shows and films I've watched so far in 2020. At the end of the post, I'll be sharing my favourites of the year so far.

From Google Images

TV

Doctor Who
One of the first series I watched in 2020, was the latest series of Doctor Who. I've been watching the series as it's been airing. The only episode I haven't watched is the last one. My favourite episodes have been the first one and the Mary Shelley one. Apart from that, this series hasn't been as strong as other series. I love Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor, but her series have been my favourite.

Dracula
Something I was originally very excited for was Dracula by Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss. Their adaptation of Sherlock is one of my favourite TV shows. However, I really didn't vibe with this show. I'm also in the minority of thinking that the final episode was the best one out of the three. 
  
Miranda
Miranda was a re-watch for me. I've always been a huge fan of Miranda and with the ten year anniversary special, I decided to watch the series again. It's just as funny and fluffy as when I first watched it. It will always be a go-to funny show for me.

The Witcher
After seeing everyone talking about The Witcher, I finally caved and watched The Witcher. The first couple of episodes were a bit difficult to get into, but after that I was hooked. Jaskier is a precious little bean and Toss a Coin is a bop. I'm excited for the next season and there better be plenty of Jaskier in it.

Dublin Murders
I actually watched about half of this in 2019, but I finally finished it this year. It's an adaptation of the first two books in the Dublin Murder series by Tana French. It was a solid adaptation and I'll be continuing with it if they make more series in the future. 

Back to Life
Following my re-watch of Miranda, I was looking for a new female led comedy and I stumbled across Back to Life. It's a British comedy about Miri, a woman in her 30s, returning to her normal life after spending most of her life in prison. It's also a mystery about what actually happened and why Miri went to prison. I think they're making a second season, which I would definitely watch. 

Sex Education Season 2
If you've been following my blog for a while, then you'll know that Sex Education is one of my favourite shows, so I was super excited. I have to admit that it wasn't as good as the first one, but I still enjoyed it enough to watch it three times this year. I'm looking forward to season three and I can't wait to see what they do with this show.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Season 3
Another show I was super excited for, was the third season of CAOS. I'd really enjoyed the first two seasons, however this season was a huge flop in my opinion. It was too dramatic for my personal taste and I have a feeling that I will most likely not be continuing with this show after this season. 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
I finally finished Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I had spent most of 2019 watching the first six and a half seasons, so I made it my mission to finish season seven this year. It has become a staple show for me and I'm hoping to finish the spin-off show, Angel, this year.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency  
Again, Dirk Gently is one of my favourite shows and I just felt like rewatching it. It never fails to put a smile on my face and I live for the soundtrack playlist that someone made on Spotify.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine
With season 6 dropping on Netflix, it was a natural decision that I had to watch all five seasons of B99 to be prepared for the newest season. I had watched it last summer when it was airing weekly on E4, but I hadn't enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. However, now that I've binged it a few times, I love it and am happily making my way through season 7. B99 is one of the few things keeping me sane at the moment.

Noughts&Crosses
The final entry on my TV section is Noughts&Crosses. I had read the books many years ago, so I was really excited for the TV show. I have to say that they've made a lot of changes for the TV show, some of them are good, some of them don't make sense. I'm interested in where they take this show if they make another season. 

Films

Bohemian Rhapsody 
The first film I watched in 2020 was Bohemian Rhapsody. I had been meaning to watch this for a while, but when my mum got it on DVD for Christmas, we decided we had no excuse but to watch it. It was a good, fun film, the music was really good and there were some solid performances. 

Toy Story 4
I was the only person in my family to go see Toy Story 4 in the cinema, so we got it on DVD and decided to watch it as a family. It isn't my favourite Toy Story film, but it still made me tear up, especially as I was having to go through my toys and decide which ones I was keeping after moving house. 

Spiderman Far From Home
Spiderman is one of my favourite super hero movies and I had been really excited to see it, however the only cinema near me that was showing it, was charing £14 a ticket (which in my opinion is too much money for one ticket) so I waited for it on DVD. I really like Tom Holland as Spider-Man, it was light-hearted fun.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Despite the fact that I want to become a writer, I had never seen a Tarantino movie before and I had been really excited for OUATIH. I really enjoyed it, even thought it was three hours long. I definitely want to see more Tarantino movies in the future. 

Little Women
One of my most anticipated movies of the year (even though it technically came out in 2019) was Little Women by Greta Gerwig. Lady Bird is my all time favourite movie, so I was really excited for Little Women. It was everything I wanted it to be. I cannot wait for it to come out on DVD so I can watch it over and over again. 

Lady Bird
Obviously, after watching Little Women, I had to watch Lady Bird. I may have watched it twice this year. I watched it by myself and then with my family. This is my favourite movie and I will love it until I die. 

Lego Movie
My housemates and I decided to watch the Lego Movie after we'd all had a particularly bad day. I'd already seen it and it still stands up as being a solid movie. Not as good as the Lego Batman movie. 

Lego Movie 2
Following us watching the Lego Movie, we decided to watch the second one. It wasn't as good, but still fun and fluffy.

1917
Another movie I was desperate to see this year, was 1917. It was a film I knew I had to see on the big screen. It was one of the most tense movies I have ever watched, there were several times when I gasped out loud. It's another film that I cannot wait to come out on DVD so I can watch it again.

The World's End
If you saw my favourite movies post a while back, then you'll know that I'm a fan of the Cornetto trilogy. With everything that's going on in the world, I was weirdly in the mood for an apocalyptic movie, so I watched one of my favourites. I watched it after I'd had a bad day and it cheered me right up. 

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
The day before my housemates birthday, we decided to watch her favourite movie, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. I hadn't seen it before, and to be honest, I don't remember the last time I watched the first one. I know a lot of fans love both movies. I think at some point I'll have to watch both back to back. 

Hotel Transylvania
I have a confession to make about why I watched this movie. I only watched it because Andy Samberg voices one of the character and because I love B99, I had to watch it. It was another fun, fluffy movie and I'm kinda interested in watching the rest.

Wonder Women
A movie I was excited to watch and fully expected to love was Wonder Woman. I'm aware that I'm a few years late to the trend with this one. However, I didn't end up enjoying it that much. I just felt that there wasn't much character development and they overused the slow-mo effect. I also worked out who the villain was really early on. 

Portrait of a Lady on Fire
I had seen a trailer for this before a YouTube video, so me and my family decided to watch it. It's a French historical fiction about a pair of women who fall in love. It was a beautiful story, however it could have been a little shorter. 

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 
I hadn't watched a Harry Potter movie in ages and PoA is my favourite, so I decided to watch it. It cheered me up as I was feeling a bit down in the dumps because of the current situation. 

Favourites

As there were 27 things on this list, I thought I would pick my favourites and share them with you:
  • The Witcher
  • Little Women
  • 1917
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine
So that concludes all the TV I've watched so far in 2020, what have you been watching recently?
Carenza :) x